Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


Solar Panels To Be Fitted To Some Council Properties

Friday October 7 2011

SCORES of solar panels are to be fitted on council owned buildings across the borough, We Are Barnsley can reveal.

Earlier this week, council planners agreed to allow photovoltaic (solar panels) to be installed on an apartment building Buckley House, Union Street; 118 - 184 Honeywell Street; 77-131 Aldham House Lane, Wombwell; 1 - 4 Neville Close, Wombwell; 46 - 56 Cockerham Lane, Barnsley; Meadow Crescent Community Centre, Meadow Crescent, Royston, Barnsley, S71 4DL; 1 - 33 Church Street Close, Thurnscoe; Construction Depot, Unit 2, Industry Road, Carlton; 1 - 11 Verona Rise, Darfield, Barnsley.

Barnsley is the third highest local authority leader of photovoltaic (solar panel) capacity only behind Cornwall and Doncaster and is the joint 9th of microgeneration (including anaerobic digestion, photovoltaic and wind).

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
13 Showing 13 comments

Reply Posted by Guest on Saturday October 8 2011 at 07:06
Again we have been missed out, we didn't get new central heating system as they said they had run out of money so now stuck with an old back bolier and now missing put on solar panels. Seems they don't care about their properties in lundwood.

Reply Posted by Hutton01 on Saturday October 8 2011 at 07:38
Your not the only 1 who has missed out. I ve been in my council home 6 years now was promissed decent homes by 2010, has council been No, all i have had is new kitchen thats was down to wear n tear. House has pickets of installion in walls missing, house is a very cold house n very small waiting 4 a move to another house now. Just so fed up with council.
These solar panels shud be fitted to every south facing house n every council building, n nhs buildings ie schools office buildings swimming pools hospitals, doctors n so on.

Reply Posted by Rio2772 on Saturday October 8 2011 at 19:40
we cant even have a t.v. aerial ,so no chance of solaar panels

Reply Posted by Rickrkowett on Saturday October 8 2011 at 22:00
There are companies that fit the panels for free, the tenant can have free electric during the day and any spare is fed back into the national grid and they get paid 46p per kilowatt or there abouts.  If you do it your self it costs around £10,000 and takes about 8 years to break even then your start to make a profit.

Reply Posted by Jollyroger on Sunday October 9 2011 at 13:53
To be honest I cant afford a new kitchen even with wear and tear. Why do people think that they should be entitled to gorgeous homes when they rent. If you want a lovely home then work for it and pay private rent or buy. Social housing is not about new kitchens and solar panels etc. It should be a stopgap until you can move on and up, not a right for life.

Reply Posted by J Manterfield on Monday October 10 2011 at 09:08
i wouldnt b 2 upset bart that decent homes scheme, cos if its still mears or lovells doin em 4get it cos all they ave ever dun is wreck ya property, bad electrics, decoratin shite, even 4yrs darn line the kitchens r fallin apart................

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Monday October 10 2011 at 10:45
I just love it how people that live in council houses just expect expect expect. I live in a terraced I bought with my other half. I had to save for years for a deposit, If i need repairs I pay for them, if I need new windows I work and pay for them, if I need a new boiler I pay for it. We are struggling to make ends meet as it is at the moment I'm sure a lot of people are at the moment yet I pay my taxes every month and make sure I pay my bills.  I can't even get our council to surface our road as they never claimed our part of it .  This town could be so much better if the a lot didn't think they were entitled to everything for free and council money was spent elsewhere other than helping people who are unwilling to help themselves. Why should people that live in council houses get free electricity? the council own the properties which means that tax payers own them really. So tax payers should get the benefits (not just council and spend the money made where it's needed.  I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing about what council house people are getting  for bloody free.

Reply Posted by vanessa on Sunday September 9 2012 at 20:26
Not being rude but I live in a council house and my partner and I both work and we pay full rent and council tax and receive no benefits at all. You are writing stereotypical views and putting everbody into the same group when you have no facts. If you were to rent a house of flat and it needed some maintenence work would you or would you not expeect your landlord to pay for the work to be done. Of course you would because why would you pay for work on a property that you didn't own! It doesn't make sense. Not everybody is given the opportunity to be able to save for a mortgage so think yourself lucky. We work extremely hard and I find it extremely annoying that you would post your unjustified comments before finding out the facts.

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Monday October 10 2011 at 10:47
totally agree, why should everything come for free, it hardly gives the incentive to help yourself.

Reply Posted by AD on Monday October 10 2011 at 11:41
I agree that you can't expect everything and anything when you live in a council property. But if the council pay the contractors to do the work to keep them in good condition, then the work should be done to the same standard as any other property as if it was done privately!  Anything to the contrary is just not an argument! Insinuating that anyone who lives in a council property should have sub standard repairs is just dumb. The council can charge more rent or ask more for the price of the property in the right to buy scheme if the houses are in tip top condition. Wanting the council to just stick paper over cracks in social housing is counter productive as when the houses are all shit holes and look like they are not cared for at all - will not only loose the tax payers money, but will also cost home owners who live near to them due to it devaluing there properties. Not to mention lots of people who have bought there council house who live next door to ones who are still owned by the local authority. 

Reply Posted by Big Gav Bfc on Monday October 10 2011 at 17:10
All these moaners about not gettin kitchens an stuff GET A JOB AND PAY FOR IT YOUR SELF!
I have to work to pay my bills and if a
want owt doin a have to save for it!
Saying that a do think solar panels ar a good idea an the money generated would also help the local community

Reply Posted by vanessa on Sunday September 9 2012 at 20:31
Excuse me but I live in a coucil house and I work 12 hour days and my partner works from monday to saturday. We pay rent and full council tax and bills. So get your facts right before you start writing your ridiculous ignorant views

Reply Posted by Keith Brook on Saturday October 22 2011 at 06:46
hi i live in a council house and pay my rent you i assume are buying yours so when it comes to selling if you want to you have the freedom to choose what you do part of our rent goes towards the repairs and we dont have a say in what quality these repairs are done you say free that just makes me angry you sound very bitter council housing as existed for many years perhaps you like the thought of the run down look i feel sorry for you