Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


Warning Issued After Two Chip Pan Fires In One Hour

Wednesday October 24 2012

Fire Engine - Wayne Gilmore Fire Engine - Wayne Gilmore

FIRE CREWS across Barnsley have issued a warning to local people after they were called to two chip pan fires in the space of an hour.

The first incident was reported at 5pm on Tuesday in Thurnscoe on Walbert Avenue. The resident escaped after putting the fire out with a damp tea towel.

An hour later, a Wombwell man left his chip pan unattended to go to the toilet and returned to find it on fire.

He carried it out to the landing of the flats in Aldham House Lane, burning his hand and foot.

A neighbour put the chip pan out before the arrival of fire crews. 

SYFR spokesman Diane Malpass said: “People might think we preach to them about chip pans but these incidents show they are a very real danger.

"Throwing away chip pans will help to prevent one of the main causes of serious house fires and injuries. We would recommend that people either use oven chips, or buy a deep fat fryer that can be controlled by a thermostat.”

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
4 Showing 4 comments

Reply Posted by david on Wednesday October 24 2012 at 13:38
its somthing i wont be doing again

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Wednesday October 24 2012 at 20:43
Come on folks, throw the chip pan away and buy oven chips. OK they may not be as nice but it beats a house fire and all the danger they bring. Do it now, straight away................."......"............................come on, I'm waiting, stop reading this and throw it away now, you know it makes sense.

Reply Posted by michelle on Wednesday October 24 2012 at 20:59
this story i realy can relate too it was only last year i had a chip pan fire but i paniced and got it too my kitchen sink and turned the cold water tap on wooooow what a shock as soomn as the water it the flames went out of hand burnt everything in my kitchen thanks too one of my neabourghs seening my curtains on fire come over too get me out since that day i only cook oven chips but i am goin to get a deepfat fryer so if anyone reading this please please throw out the old chip pans before it happens too you

Reply Posted by Josh on Saturday October 27 2012 at 17:12
Throw it away or just be more cautious and don't leave it unattended. To be honest, I'd rather just be more cautious and carry on having nice chips.