A WOMAN had a lucky escape after a fire started in a kitchen.

Firefighters from Rotherham, Dearne and Barnsley were called to a house on Hurley Croft, Brampton Bierlow on Sunday at 10.49pm.

When they arrived crews found the occupant outside, and heavy smoke logging indoors.

Breathing apparatus wearers immediately entered the property to extinguish the fire and stop the incident escalating.

One woman was suffering from smoke inhalation and was treated by paramedics.

The cause of the fire is said to have originated from a chip pan that had been left unattended.

Firefighters left the scene around 12.15am.