A HOUSE in Grimethorpe was severely damaged last night after a chip pan fire. The battery had been removed from the house's smoke alarm and the open plan kitchen and living room was destroyed - with other damage to the rest of the house being caused by heat and smoke. The man who lived at the Oak Street property escaped unharmed. A spokesman for the fire service said: "Firefighters from Cudworth station arrived at around 11.15pm to find the smoke layer from the fire spreading from the ceiling down to knee level. They entered using breathing apparatus and put out the fire before ventilating the property. "The occupant was checked and did not require medical treatment, but has been forced to vacate the property."