FIREFIGHTERS were sent to tackle a blaze after a pre-heating oven was left unattended.

The crew were called to a fire on Lancaster Street at 4.38pm where they were met with a heavily smoke logged property.

Breathing apparatus was worn and they entered the house to find the fire had already burnt out.

Nobody was injured and the fire was limited to the kitchen however fire officers say the incident could have been worse and, given there were no working smoke alarms in the property are reminding people of the following:

1. To ensure you have a fire alarm on every level of your home, and that you test them reguarly.

2. Don’t let yourself get distracted when cooking – even a pre-heating oven can catch fire

3. Make sure to clean hobs and ovens regualrly as a build up of fat and grease can start a fire.