FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man who was trapped upstairs after a fire broke out on the first floor.

Three fire crews from Barnsley, Cudworth and Tankersley stations were called to a house fire on Cranbrook Street in Kingstone at 8pm last night.

While the other occupants were already safely outside, the crews were made aware that a man in his 20's was trapped upstairs due to the smoke.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the terraced house and found the man and led him safely outside.The man was left in the care of the ambulance crew.

The fire is believed to have started accidentaly due to smoking materials.

Firefighters used a hose reel to quickly extinguish the fire and left the scene at 9:30pm.