A BARNSLEY man had the shock of his life when opening a McDonald's Happy Meal box for his five year-old daughter after he discovered a spider scuttling around inside.

Sime Bray, from Kendray, visited the Stairfoot outlet of the popular fast-food chain on Friday night around 5.20pm, ordering a Happy Meal for his daughter.

When he returned home and plated the meal up, he noticed the arachnid at the bottom of the box.

When he rang the restaurant to complain, Sime says the woman he spoke to on the phone was dismissive of his complaint before hanging up on him.

He said: "She said I'd got to bring the meal back to McDonald's but I couldn't do that as my partner was going out and we'd got nobody for the kids.

"She said they check their boxes and that the spider wasn't anything to do with them. But it had been closed up until we got home and I'm not going to put a spider in myself.

"She said 'we're not bothered anyway' and hung up on me.

"I don't want anything out of them, I just want an apology for how rude she was. But you never know, the spider could have been crawling all over the chips. It's unhygienic and scary.

"It could have been poisonous. I'll never use McDonald's again."

A McDonald's spokesperson said: "We were sorry to hear about this customer’s experience. Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control and follow rigourous standards to avoid any imperfections.

"Our Happy Meal boxes are assembled for each order and checked before being served to the customer, having been kept in an area which is sanitised daily.

"When we were made aware of the complaint we asked the customer to return the item for inspection. We would encourage the customer to contact our customer services team if they wish to discuss further.”