TRIBUTES have flooded in for a father-of-two who was killed in a house fire.

Lester Ball died last week after a fire at his bungalow on Treelands, Gawber and would regularly help out at the Tommy Treddlehoyle in Pogmoor.

The 53-year-old succumbed to the fire, thought to be caused by an electrical fault in his fridge, despite the efforts by fire-fighters and paramedics to save him.

Barmaid Mary Robertson said Lester, who had been a regular for about 20 years, would 'do anything for anyone.'

"We all loved him, everybody is just devastated," she said. "He loved this pub and wanted to do anything he could for you. He was that kind of person.

"This sort of thing shouldn't happen to anyone, it's tragic. The atmosphere in the pub has been very sombre since it happened.

"I don't know what we are going to do without him. He was just a lovely lad. He will be very much missed."

Fire crews from Barnsley and Cudworth were called to his home at about 4am on Monday after neighbours spotted smoke coming from the windows and heard glass shattering in the heat.