FIRE CHIEFS have told Barnsley residents to find another way to cook their chips after a man suffered burns when a chip pan caught fire in his home.

The fire on Sackville Street started at around 7.30pm on Friday (July 1).

Fire crews from Tankersley, Cudworth and Barnsley tackled the blaze.

Fire chiefs say that the public should never to use hot oil pans to cook their own chips, and to use oven chips or a thermostat controlled fryer instead.

Head of community safety Trevor Bernard, said: “Chip pans cause dozens of fires and injuries in South Yorkshire every year.

"There is really no reason at all to use hot oil pans to cook chips, when there are plenty of other safer alternatives available. Luckily, working smoke alarms helped to raise the alarm potentially preventing a much more serious incident.”