FIRE CHIEFS have issued a warning after a disposable BBQ left smouldering in a bin caused a fire. 

Using a hose reel, firefighters extinguished the fire before it was able to spread.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "People are reminded to stay safe whilst enjoying the sunshine in the Summer months.

"To ensure your tasty plans don’t go up in smoke, sit the portable BBQ on a flat surface well away from trees, shrubs and grassland. 

"Keep a bucket of water or sand close by, just in case.

"Remember you should never use petrol or paraffin on a barbecue, only recognised lighters and starter fuels.

"Also, make sure the coals have properly cooled before disposal and empty ashes onto bare soil, not into the bin."