FIRE CHIEFS are warning home owners to check their smoke alarms after a Barnsley woman escaped a house fire.

Smoke alarms fitted by the fire service helped save the woman’s life after a blaze in her home.

The fire broke out at the house on Hope Street at around 2am on Friday (18 March) after cooking was left unattended in a pan on the hob.

Although the fire was already out when crews from Barnsley and Cudworth stations arrived on the scene, the house was heavily smoke logged and firefighters used specialist equipment to ventilate the property.

The woman in her fifties managed to escape the blaze, but was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Neighbours had raised the alarm after hearing the smoke alarms going off.

A spokesperson said: "The incident is another reminder of the importance of working smoke alarms on every level of your home and testing them weekly."