A LOUD smoke alarm prevented a fire after a helpful neighbour called for help.

Three fire engines from Barnsley and Cudworth stations were called to a property on Carr Green Lane in Mapplewell, following reports of smoke in the property.

Crews found a pile of damp washing in a basket on top of an electric hob which had been left on by accident.

The basket and clothing had begun to smoke, which activated the smoke alarm.

Watch Manager Gavin Jones said: “It is without a shadow of doubt that without the smoke alarm and the actions of the passer by this incident would have been a very serious kitchen fire.

“This is a reminder to everyone just how valuable smoke alarms are. I would ask all residents to make sure they have working smoke alarms on every level of their home and to test them on a regular basis.”