A BARNSLEY woman who was struck down by food poisoning during her holiday at a Bulgarian hotel has secured a four-figure settlement from her tour operator.

Healthcare assistant Catherine Lowe travelled to the Laguna Park resort for a ten-day stay with her best friend for a girls’ holiday.

But she started to suffer with severe diarrhoea, abdominal pain and vomiting during her stay.

She went to a medical centre in Bulgaria and was hooked up to a drip because her symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea had left her so severely dehydrated.

When she returned home she went to see her GP and was diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning and had to take a week off work.

The illness has now left her with irritable bowel syndrome.

Catherine, 26, from Worsborough Bridge, said: "I was so disappointed with the conditions at the hotel and hygiene standards.

"When I did try to complain to hotel staff about the general hygiene of the hotel they were extremely rude and would not accept that there was a problem.

"I am pleased that the legal proceedings have now finished and I can start to put this holiday nightmare behind me and look towards the future."

Amandeep Dhillon, specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: "We are pleased that we have now secured a settlement from Thomas Cook for Catherine’s awful experience at this resort.

"We have seen a number of instances in the past where salmonella has had a major impact on sufferers."