A BARNSLEY man who was found dead in his home is believed to have been poisoned - by a disposable barbecue.

Police and fire crews broke into the terraced house on Tune Street on June 22 at around 6.30pm after concerns were raised by relatives.

Inside they found the body of 53-year-old Stephen Waddington and close by discovered the remains of a burnt out disposable barbecue.

Post mortem and toxicology tests have been carried out and an inquest opened and adjourned.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire Service warned disposal barbecues should never be lit or taken indoors.

He said: "Disposable barbecues give off carbon monoxide when being used and continue to do so until they're completely cold.

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas that, even in relatively small quantities, prevents blood from providing essential oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

"Exposure to carbon monoxide in enclosed spaces often causes drowsiness and the victims fall asleep unaware of the poisonous gas that's killing them.

"Once lit, a disposable barbecue should never be taken inside a tent or other enclosed space for any reason. After use, a disposable barbecue should be left outside to cool down and, once completely cold, disposed of appropriately."