AN ELDERLY woman from Cudworth is recovering after a house fire at her home.

The woman, in her 90s, was treated by paramedics after fire crews from Cudworth and Barnsley stations went to the incident on Sceptone Grove at around 7.30pm on Tuesday night.

The blaze was sparked by a pan which had been left on the hob, causing the kitchen to fill with smoke.

A spokesman said: "A smoke alarm alerted the woman to the fire. Paramedics attended, but the woman did not have to attend hospital.

"Residents are reminded to never, ever leave cooking unattended and to test their smoke alarms weekly."