THREE people suffered smoke inhalation after a chip pan caught fire at a house in Barnsley.

Firefighters were called to Emley View, Smithies, at 10.30pm on Wednesday. The kitchen had suffered fire damage and three occupants required medical treatment.

A woman in her 40s and a male and female in their 20s all received treatment for smoke inhalation but did not need to attend hospital.

A fire spokesperson said: "Chip pans are a very real danger. Throwing away chip pans will help to prevent one of the main causes of serious house fires and injuries.

"We would recommend that people either use oven chips or buy a thermostat-controlled deep fat fryer."