A BARNSLEY man suffered burns to his face and hands - after trying to light a cigarette with a soldering iron.

Fire crews were called to an address on Newstead Road, Athersley, at 1.45pm on Wednesday to deal with a small bedroom fire.

They found the man, in his 30s, had dropped the hot iron on to his bed after burning himself, causing the bedding to catch fire.

Firefighters from Dearne station put out the fire and gave medical treatment to the man, before he was taken to hospital in an ambulance.