A BARNSLEY family has been saved by their household smoke alarms which alerted them to a blaze in their home.

A couple and teenage boy escaped their house on Osmond Drive, Worsbrough, at just before 5am on Wednesday morning. 

Three fire engines from Barnsley and Tankersley stations attended the incident and the family were already safely outside the property.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "The bedroom was well alight, firefighters did a brilliant job to prevent the fire from spreading.

"Wearing breathing apparatus they used a hose reel to put the fire out.

"This incident proves that smoke alarms can save lives."

The Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) which is run by the Red Cross also attended the incident to assist the family.

An investigation into the blaze is ongoing, but it is believed to be an accidental fire, due to smoking materials.

Fire crews left the scene just after 8am.