RESIDENTS were evacuated after a gas leak was sparked by a fire in the cellar of a terraced house.

Fire crews from Tankersley, Stocksbridge and Barnsley stations were called to the fire at 5:15am Monday morning on Green Road in Penistone.

When crews arrived the three occupants were already safely out of the terraced house.

The fire was in the cellar and was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

However, the fire had caused a gas leak which prompted the surrounding properties to be evacuated as a precaution.

The fire is believed to have started by accident, although a fire investigation is still ongoing.

Fire crews left the scene at 8:30am.