A MAN who was found by a dog walker in a tent near to the Metrodome took his own life, an inquest recorded.

Mark Andrew Evans, 48, of Eldon Street North, had emailed a friend stating his intention to kill himself and asked him to look after his dogs.

He was found in a tent with a generator on August 12.

The cause of death was recorded as carbon monoxide poisoning.

A statement by Ricky Lee Jank told how he had come across the tent while walking his dogs the previous day and peered inside - but thought Mr Evans was asleep.

Ricky said he always walked his two dogs along a path near Queens Road which runs around the back of the leisure centre.

He discovered the camouflage tent after following his dogs through undergrowth and down a recently trodden down path.

He opened the tent up after shouting 'hello' and getting no reply and saw a man, but couldn't see his face.

"I thought he was asleep, and that he might have been kicked out or sleeping rough," Ricky said. "It played on my mind all night."

The next day he arranged for a friend to accompany him on his dog walk to see if the tent was still there.

It was and he opened it.

"I could see the male's face. It was extremely pale with no colour whatsoever.

"I tried to rouse him by calling out to him but he wasn't moving at all.

"I wasn't sure if he was poorly or dead."

They called the emergecy services.

Acting Sgt Victoria Williams said Mr Evans had been reported missing the day before after the friend received the email.

It suggested he'd had problems with Barnsley Council and was sorry for putting it on his friend's shoulders.

She said the case was upgraded to 'high risk' and enquiries were made with neighbours and friends.

A check on his mobile phone showed he was within a half mile radius.

Assistant deputy coroner Julian Fox said he was satisfied with the evidence that Mark had taken his own life.

Mark's mother Catherine Charlesworth said: "Mark was the best Christmas present I ever had, he was born two weeks before.

"All the family will really miss him. He was just hell-bent on taking his own life."