A BARNSLEY woman escaped and two neighbours had to be evacuated after a candle caused a blaze.

Firefighters were called out to Grange Court, Park Street, Wombwell, at around midnight on Monday.

When firefighters arrived at the flat they found the flames were contained to the window area - near to where the candle had been burning.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue said: "The lady was already out of the flat when the crews arrived. A tea light had accidently set fire to a curtain.

"Firefighters put the fire out and ventilated the flat. To prevent candles causing a fire in your home don’t leave them burning in a room with no-one in it. Make sure they're in holders that won’t fall over."