THOUSANDS of pounds in compensation is being handed out to residents.

Specialist surveying team Thomson Broadbent says settlements have ran into several thousands with the majority of claims down to noise and light pollution caused by vehicles and street lights living close to a Cudworth bypass.

The firm's managing director, James Broadbent, said between 200 and 250 claims have been made by residents in the Cudworth and Shafton area.

Claims range from £500 to £13,000, he said, with 49 properties so far having been successful in their claims.

"When I've presented the offers to the clients, pretty much without exception, they have been happy," he said.

According to Thomson Broadbent, residents are entitled to claim where their property has been reduced in value due to problems such as noise and pollution from public works.

Mr Broadbent said a lot of claims have been made in Plumpton Park and Bleak Avenue in Shafton as well as Queens Road and Beech Avenue in Cudworth.

One Plumpton Park resident, who wished not to be named, said a number of residents had been awarded sums between £10,000 to £14,000.

He said he was given money in July after making a claim through a chartered surveyor based in Macclesfield.

He said there was a hedge between the bypass and his house, but when the vegetation dies away during the winter months, lights from the road are a problem.

"They don't just get all the pollution from all the street lights, they get it from all the vehicles as well," he added.

A couple, who also live on the estate, said they had been awarded a 'five-figure sum' through the same surveyor.

They said they have to put up blackout blinds because of the lights.

A Barnsley Council spokesman said: "Barnsley Council can confirm it has received a number of compensation claims in relation to the Cudworth and West Green bypass scheme and to date has agreed 103 cases to affected residents.

"All claims are carefully assessed in accordance with the relevant statutory process and must meet a strict set of criteria in order to qualify for compensation."