A BARNSLEY business was one of two firms fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £8,600 costs after a man caught his hand in a saw in a recycling plant.

The 33-year-old worker was operating the saw at the Barnsley-based Jamestown Industries lead recycling plant in Ebbw Vale, Wales.

A magistrates' court was told the saw was cutting lengths of lead into smaller pieces in February last year, when one piece became jammed.

The man tried to dislodge the lead believing the saw was fully retracted and out of reach. However, his right hand made contact with the blade, severing his third finger, which had to be amputated above the second knuckle.

The Health and Safety Executive brought the prosecution against battery recycling firm Envirowales Ltd, of Victoria Street, St Albans, and Jamestown Industries Ltd, of Stocks Lane. Both pleaded guilty to safety failings.

Neither company were available for comment.