BARNSLEY fire fighters are warning residents to get their chimney's swept after they were called to a fire in Barnsley yesterday (Wednesday, November 2). Crews were called to Silkstone Common at around 10am when a fire started in the chimney of a property on Moorend Lane. Firefighters used an aerial ladder platform (ALP) to douse the flames from above using a hose reel - it took two hours to battle the blaze. A spokesman said: “An open fire is ideal to keep warm in the winter, but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous. The latest statistics show that there are approximately 6,000 chimney fires a year in England, of which more than 70 occur in South Yorkshire, but most of these are preventable. “To keep yourself and your family safe from fire you should take care to have your chimney swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn, before the colder winter months set in and you begin to use your fire and chimneys again. If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm can give you the extra time you need to escape in a house fire – make sure you test yours regularly.”

* Photo Courtesy of Wayne Gilmore *