A WOMAN and her six-year-old son were saved from a house blaze in Cudworth after being alerted by a smoke alarm.

The alarms went off after a build up of fat caught fire in an oven, filling the kitchen with smoke.

The woman, in her 30s, and her boy were already outside the house on Birkwood Avenue when Cudworth and Barnsley firefighters arrived on the scene.

A team of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to deal with the fire and to ventilate the kitchen.

A spokesman said: "The occupants were given oxygen by firefighters at the scene."