Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Chip Pan Fire Destroys Grimethorpe Home

Friday July 13 2012


Fire Engine - Wayne Gilmore Fire Engine - Wayne Gilmore


A HOUSE in Grimethorpe was severely damaged last night after a chip pan fire.

The battery had been removed from the house's smoke alarm and the open plan kitchen and living room was destroyed - with other damage to the rest of the house being caused by heat and smoke.

The man who lived at the Oak Street property escaped unharmed.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "Firefighters from Cudworth station arrived at around 11.15pm to find the smoke layer from the fire spreading from the ceiling down to knee level. They entered using breathing apparatus and put out the fire before ventilating the property.

"The occupant was checked and did not require medical treatment, but has been forced to vacate the property."

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
4 Showing 4 comments

Reply Posted by karen on Friday July 13 2012 at 18:00
You should never take batteries out of smoke alarms they save lives

Reply Posted by C on Saturday July 14 2012 at 18:21
Hope he's insured. Glad he's ok tho

Reply Posted by Jo on Monday July 16 2012 at 09:45
Who puts a chip pan on at 11.15PM anyway ??

Reply Posted by Simon on Thursday July 19 2012 at 21:43
These kind of fires commonly happen when people get the munchies after a night out, turn on the chip pan and fall asleep whilst waiting for it to get hot. NEVER take the batteries out of a smoke detector and test it weekly.