News » WAB Debate

Would Plain Cigarette Packaging Deter Youths From Smoking?

Monday May 28 2012

STUDENTS from Barnsley College have been working with NHS Barnsley on a project to promote plain packaging on cigarettes.

The Government has launched a public consultation on whether the UK should adopt the plain packaging of tobacco products.

The aim is to make packs less attractive to children after research showed that 340,000 in the UK are tempted to try it.

A spokesman said: "Research has shown that they are more likely to be attracted by designed tobacco packs, than by plain packs. With regulation in place to restrict television, radio and other advertising, packaging is becoming more and more important to the tobacco industry to help sell their products. Shiny holograms, pretty pastel colours and wrappers are just some of the eye-catching pack designs available, and there is building evidence to suggest that these packs can attract and mislead children."

Students from the digital media course have been working on a video, animation, and their own visuals as part of the project.

What do you think? Should cigarette packaging be plain? Have your say in the box below.

Reply Posted by Russell Vincent Richard Ord on Monday May 28 2012 at 15:01
There is no point in having plain packaging as you cannot see what you are buying from shops anyway.  Plus if the shops were sticking to the law, nobody under the age of 18 should be able to buy them.  The whole anti-tobacco thing has gone nuts!

Reply Posted by Becky 'Dinky' Bamforth on Monday May 28 2012 at 16:03
I don't believe it will deter people from smoking, they know whats in the box and if they don't they can ask any number of people to find out. Also if its on the same shelving as cigarettes its quite obvious what they are.

Reply Posted by Twill285 on Monday May 28 2012 at 18:13
Cannabis, Heroin and Cocaine  all come in plain packets, that does not deter users, why should plain packets for cigarette's, they want the contents not the box they come in. Everyone that I have asked says even a brown paper bag will do, might even bring down the cost, and you can use your own case.

Reply Posted by Ian 'Lobby' Moore on Monday May 28 2012 at 18:42
I honestly think the anti-smoking thing as gone mad, it dunt matter wot packet/package/bag or wot ever the cig's are in, if yung un's are goin to smoke then there goin to smoke, nothin will deter them frum smokin, they've tried the really bad picture's of smoker's lungs etc on packet's but the youth of today still smoke, so no matter wot they try or do it will not work. That's my opion anyway.

Reply Posted by e cigarettes on Tuesday May 29 2012 at 09:21
I love how nobody seems to understand that the nicotine isn’t the main problem. It’s the tar and the other harmful chemicals. Obviously nicotine can cause things over years of abuse, but if I smoke real cigarettes twenty times a day´╗┐ — wouldn’t you thing I’d rather smoke just nicotine and water instead twenty times a day? Wouldn’t you think that would be a bit healthier than tar?

Reply Posted by Cyntheverett on Tuesday May 29 2012 at 16:04
What a load of twaddle. How long has It took for somebody to come up with this Idea. I smoked as a teenager and after the first draw of that first cigarette I thought I was going to die. 40 years later I still remember it so clearly. So why did I continue with this filthy habbit, to be like all the others that I hung around with at the time. At that time there wasn't the awareness of the harm smoking could do to you but over the years as more and more research was being done you still would not have got me to look at any brochures television programmes etc because by now I was addicted. And I wouldn't have given 2 hoots as to wot colour the packet was as long as I got a smoke. Fortunately I eventually saw the light and gave up 7 years ago. I was a lot older and I'd like to think a lot wiser. I do feel sad when I see teenagers smoking and wish they could have the knowledge and wisdom of an older person.

Reply Posted by Russell Vincent Richard Ord on Wednesday May 30 2012 at 06:48
Is this the future?

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday June 20 2012 at 20:16
Black market tobacco often does come in plain packaging.

Reply Posted by Sylvia on Thursday August 23 2012 at 10:08