Council apologises over 'unacceptable' bin incident

Wednesday April 12 2017

The incident has been viewed thousands of times on Facebook The incident has been viewed thousands of times on Facebook

BARNSLEY Council has issued an apology after a video went viral of bin men throwing white paper recycling bags on cars - and a blue bin on the floor.

The video - captured by CCTV outside of Cheryl Parker's home - was featured on regional news programme Calendar earlier today.

Cheryl said: "The grey bin men in Old Town are fabulous, it's only the recycling men that are the problem."

The council has since issued an apology over the incident.

It said in a statement: "We are aware of a video our waste collection service being shared on social media.

"Barnsley Council aims to deliver a consistently high standard of service and this clearly falls short. This behaviour  is totally unacceptable and a full investiigation will be carried out.

"We thank the resident for getting in touch and apologise for the level of service she received and any distress caused."

Reply Posted by Michelle Elrington on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 19:43
Today the bin men refused to empty my brown bin because I had a plastic panel in the bin. My son offered to take it out and they refused. I'm disgusted by this treatment and wonder why I pay my council tax .

Reply Posted by worker on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 19:47
Sack them and if there is the slightest scratch on the car claim off them.

Reply Posted by ANon on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 20:21
I get cctv footage every week of them throwing bins, boxes and bags about, worst thing they did these wheelie bins, we put em out, place them neatly outside our properties and every week I find my bins strewn anywhere, blocking pavements, driveways the lot, just put em back where you picked em up from it's not hard!!!

Reply Posted by AHR on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 21:36
So true !.

Reply Posted by KT Fearn on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 20:24
No excuse! Sack them!!! Plenty of decent people with more respect, who want a job can fill their shoes!

Reply Posted by Mary Wilson on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 20:38
No problem with our dustbin men they are nice nothing too much trouble praise them up when necessary they are not all the same x

Reply Posted by Lyn Fawcett on Thursday April 13 2017 at 05:00
I was thinking the same Mary, and everyone has a bad day sometimes.

Reply Posted by Colin Peters on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 20:38
I don't know why this is an article now, I have complained about our bin men in wilthorpe for six year now throwing the bins around near cars and pushing them into my fence and gate. I am 66 years old I struggle to move the wheely bin when they wedge it in my gate without a care in the world

Reply Posted by jane on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 21:04
not all bin men are like that my son was a bin man for 12 year and he loved his job so do not put them all down as bad

Reply Posted by Haypee on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 21:22
The bin men have destroyed my green bin with their vandal like way they have emptied it, I know this because I've watched them and if I want another I can no longer collect my own but I now have to pay an extortionate delivery fee.
Talk about being ripped off !!

Reply Posted by kATIE TAYLOR on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 21:33
The bin men are suppose to collect my mums bin from off the drive way and empty them and put them back but they never do . ............What the **** do they expect her to do when she can't walk and she is house bound .......They are idle why does she pay her council tax ?

Reply Posted by mrs s smith on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 22:05
put my blue bin out and white bag out, got emptied, but got no white bag back, asked neighbour's. if i put them in a plastic bag at the side of my blue bin will they it as it is in a plastic bag.

Reply Posted by mrs s smith on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 22:05

Reply Posted by mrs s smith on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 22:05

Reply Posted by Laura on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 22:10
They quick enough to fine members of public for litter dropping wonder if these bin men will face a fine xx

Reply Posted by Paula on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 22:32
Problem with the council bin men is they get paid upto a certain time regardless if they finish early is why you see all this happening....rushing to finish early is why you see some of them running and throwing bags and bins back regardless of where they land...even worse when its windy when they just throw the green boxes on the pavement to blow into the road...common sense would say pop it over the gate but too much trouble and oh they want to finish early!

Reply Posted by Ian on Wednesday April 12 2017 at 23:30
What annoys me is they drop rubbish on the street while the bin gets emptied but leave it? It takes 5 seconds to pick it up but they cant be bothered. If we did that in town we would get a fine for it.

Reply Posted by Marie on Thursday April 13 2017 at 00:48
Barnsley council are a joke I recycle all the time my grey bin is cracked on both sides which is out of my hands as I havent cracked them its the bin truck, I put my rubbish in bin today and a rat was in my bin, my dog came in house with a bad cut on his leg from them, I know because he smells thevstay stop each day where they are living near my bin, I looked to getva new bin to my surprise I need to pay £20 to get one this should be free if bins are split or broken they are a necessity not a luxury item also for pest control £150 to get rid them and another £50/for each visit, now Barnsley council tell me is this fair to a family that recycles and bringing up two young children who play in garden with rats running about,I will not pay for a bin that is 5 Years old and being by been n bin nor will I pay for pest control you want better Barnsley how can this be if streets are crawling with rats and mice due to rubbish being collected every other week and poor service to me its a money making scam and I question why do we pay council tax when my dog gets attacked by rats and my children ate at risked of diseases from rodents

Reply Posted by John on Thursday April 13 2017 at 02:09
Sorry people but stop treating them all the same cos they are not iv worked with them myself and some of the boys are the most generous and kind hearted men av ever worked with and sum are arogent Al admit and do get disrespectful and of any apologies needed to be made its by the culprits that do get caught, its wrong when 1 of the team dose wrong and rest get penalised because of it. Come on barnsley you know am right not all bin men do stupid things like that alot of them do, do the job right and your know it so stop tardin emWi same brush cos not all are perfect.

Reply Posted by Lyn on Thursday April 13 2017 at 05:04
I can still remember when the bins were galvanised with a seperate lid on them and the bin men would come up the driveway, throw the bin over their shoulder, carry it to the truck, empty it and bring it back. And sometimes they would be whistling and if you saw them you always got a cheery "Hello" or "Morning" from them.
The bins are now on wheels and the truck does the lifting for them.
But as is usual, it is the minority that spoils it for the rest.
Remember there are many more good collectors than bad ones.
And everyone can have a bad day sometimes.

Reply Posted by B. Cyntefig on Thursday April 13 2017 at 06:01
"...and a blue bin on the floor." Do you really mean "floor"?

Reply Posted by Ryan Darvill on Thursday April 13 2017 at 09:44
Never had s problem with our bin men. Always collect, put back where they found them and on the odd occasion they take extra bags!

Reply Posted by Mrs Angela barrell on Thursday April 13 2017 at 09:55
not sure which areas are getting this consistently high standard but it's not on my street either, bins aren't consistently emptied on the correct days (specified by council) necessitating bins being left out for upto a fortnight on some occasions, bins aren't consistently returned to the pavement after emptying leaving the street like a slalom course, any rubbish that escapes from the bin while being emptied is left to blow about in the street and the bin men themselves are ignorant and uncooperative, I live in a cul de sac and several months ago a car had parked along side of my bin and the bin men missed taking it, I realised immediately and called them back but they refused to come accusing me of only just putting it out, I reported them and they were sent back the next day but they not only took my refuse they also spitefully took my bin and deposited it in the next street which we didn't realise till we had gone to the bother of getting a new one, they're a disgrace the lot of them!

Reply Posted by rjw on Thursday April 13 2017 at 10:49
Once again the Labour Council proves their unfit for purpose. We pay thousands in council tax every year, the only thing we get in return is our bins emptied but they can't even get that right. Vote them out next month!

Reply Posted by Jane on Thursday April 13 2017 at 10:59
I'm now disabled so couldn't pull the bin down the drive, I shouted them through window to say I couldn't pull it down as im disabled and they wouldn't.

Reply Posted by kierran on Thursday April 13 2017 at 14:44
I agree with others, not all bin men are as disrespectful and negligent as this. I've lived at the same address for nearly 22 years and our bin men have always been friendly and helpful, never had any problems with them in all that time.

Reply Posted by Frank on Thursday April 13 2017 at 20:42
I saw the bin men drop half of the bin rubbish out on the road on High St Shafton yesterday and left it

Reply Posted by tom on Thursday April 13 2017 at 21:40
dont get me started put a tag on my green bin. fair enough i had the wrong things in it ? next time they just emptyed in bin on the road and ledt mess all over acter cleaning it up.. they block the roads by just sitring in middle.. instead of moving 10 yards forword so you can get passed the parked car.. they are rude .... ive been swore at laughed at by them.....
also the prosses to get a permit to take anything to the dump is stupid and lomg winded ... no wounder people dump stuff all over Barnsley ..... Barnsley coucils recycling deparent a joke

Reply Posted by A on Friday April 14 2017 at 10:11
You lucky if u get your bins emptied my green bin not been emptied for a month

Reply Posted by David Nicklin on Saturday April 15 2017 at 11:35
Visited Barnsley last week and would just like to say how stunning the flowers looked outside the Town Hall a credit to all the gardeners involved.

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday April 19 2017 at 16:01
I have read some right rubbish lol pun on here. In any job you get people who dont do the job they should be doing to a high standard and everyone else gets it in the neck. It cheeses me off that if it was a post man that had been caught doing something on cctv ya wouldnt have all jumped on the bandwagon but because its bin men you have. They get some serious abuse on a daily basis, flack from the pubilc they dont deserve, blame for things (because its easy to claim a bin wagon hit something), the list goes on. If you dint have a bin service to pick up all your crap then you can moan but i am sure you can all honestly say that none of your moans happen on a regular basis but i can guarantee that all of what they take happens on a daily basis. Like to see your get up at 5am and not stop until ya done which is not 12pm finishes anymore it more like 3.30pm which is a 9 n half hour shift starting at 6am and bloody tiring running after a wagon all day n not all these workers r spring chickens. X

Reply Posted by Peter Elliott on Monday April 24 2017 at 10:31
The bin men who do Bly Road in Darfield leave the emptied bins spread all over the pavements, some on their sides and never put them back where they came from. People with prams and pushchairs and wheelchair users have to go into the road to get round them.