News » WAB Debate

Should Benefits Be Cut For Truant Kids?

Tuesday April 17 2012

CHILD benefits should be automatically docked for parents whose children are persistent truants from school, according to the government's senior advisor.

Charlie Taylor - the government advisor on behaviour - has published a report that suggests schools should be able to issue fines of £60 for truancy, rising to £120 if they are not paid within 28 days. He suggested the fine should be automatically deducted from child benefit if parents don't pay up in that time.

He also suggested those who aren't on child benefits should be pursued through the county court system.

Judith Harwood, executive director, for Children, Young People and Families at Barnsley Council, said: "We note the media reports regarding Charlie Taylor's findings into the issue of school attendance. This matter is clearly at a very early stage and we will be following its development closely."

Earlier this year, We Are Barnsley reported that 402 court cases were heard by Barnsley Magistrates relating to truancy incidents in the last five years - two parents were sent to prison, three were given suspended sentences and 36 were given parenting orders, which gives them instructions on how to be better parents. Most received fines.

Figures released by the government show that there are almost 15,000 children enrolled in primary and secondary schools in Barnsley – out of these almost 800 are classed as persistent absentees, missing days of school.

Reply Posted by 07720393130 on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 15:45
In sted of makeing t hem pay fines find out y the
Kids arnt going 2school in the frist place

Reply Posted by Shaun on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 15:57
Benefits should be stopped anyway. Why should I pay for your decision to have kids?

Reply Posted by Shaun on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 15:57

Reply Posted by Pussycatshoes on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 16:10
ooh myyyyy goddddd! who does this guy think he is the sheriff of bleeding nottingham!
i mean i'm just throwing this idea out there, but wouldn't investing more time in making learning interesting be more beneficial than meeting targets and punishing the parents of the kids that get shoved into the "already written off" group at school.

Reply Posted by Bugabug2011 on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 17:50
Unfortunately its not always a decision to have kids!!!!!!!It sometimes happens after taking precautions but too late to take any actions!!!!!

Reply Posted by Shaun on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 18:49
However, I (we all) already pay for the childs education, it's health care and any unemployment benefits should they need it. Why do I (we all) also have to subsidise the upbringing of the child?

I don't believe that the fines will help solve the truancy problem.

Reply Posted by Karl T Brittain on Wednesday April 18 2012 at 07:40
I personally believe it is a good idea. Because it will make sure parents know that there kids are in school. It's the parents responsabilty to make sure their kids attend school when they should.

So yes, good idea!

Reply Posted by Jane ward on Wednesday April 18 2012 at 07:50
Full time education my butt , I wholeheartedly agree with tackling truancy but surely reducing holidays ,teacher training days ,so that kids (all) have the opportunity to attend , kids never seem to be at school these days

Reply Posted by tough_nut on Wednesday April 18 2012 at 08:43
Answer yourself this Question :
You decide to have children (even with this Stinking outlook on life)
And you lose your Job;
................... Would you be happy if they withdrew your claim to any Child Benefit and tax credits etc  etc. Because afterall, Why would the childless members of our taxpaying community want to Support your decision to produce children.. Dont be a Hypocrit.
Let me tell you,how it is in the real world:

I have 3 children, and a Spouse who is deploying to  Afghanistan in a couple of weeks:
Even with his Full Time wage - Which is above national Average /minimum wage ,Some weeks are tough as 'owt, and We're all bloody grateful for Child Benefit and Tax Credits.

I dont' care what anyone says - If you're entitled to it - Claim it.

ON TOPIC :
Parents can't always be blamed for their childrens absenteeism. Some children get to school, get their registration mark and then do a bunk. Others don't bother turning in at all even if their parents send them.
The rogues, and delinquents of this Youth are freeminded. They dont take notice of their parents, and some arent' even worth the effort.
Also -  Long term sickness ; That can't be helped. but this goes on the record as truanting. I mean I know first hand  that if your child is ill, you now have to take a SICK NOTE in for a 5year old.

Reply Posted by Ballerbunniss on Wednesday April 18 2012 at 12:54
Truancy is a huge issue. A lot of parents aren't to blame but there are always the few that don't care or are less than helpful and they do set a precident for all other parents whose children are perhaps legitimately Ill or absent for good reason. Another of the issues is that there are parents who pull their kids out of school for weeks to take holidays. This doesn't help education levels of today's youth and makes the progressively difficult education system a daunting task.

I feel that something should be done to combat these parents that undermine the system and ruin the reputation of parents in general when it comes to child absence

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Thursday April 19 2012 at 17:37
Well said!

Reply Posted by Katrinawhite on Saturday April 21 2012 at 21:46
open up the borstals !!!

Reply Posted by Katrinawhite on Saturday April 21 2012 at 21:46
open up the borstals !!!

Reply Posted by Lynncusworth on Sunday April 22 2012 at 10:32
well once you get kids to school how you supposed to keep them there unless you sit with them all day logic

Reply Posted by Jo Keegan on Sunday April 22 2012 at 11:09
I think it's a good idea for parent's to be fined if their children do not attend school

Reply Posted by green ginger on Sunday April 22 2012 at 14:07
Sick of hearing from the child hating faction. If you dont like kids dont have them. But every one has the right to have children. You probably dont even pay enough in taxes to cover anyones kids. Grow up .

Reply Posted by Green ginger on Sunday April 22 2012 at 14:10
The education system we have goes back to when childen were fieldhands for the summer harvest. Campaign to change it if you dont like it.
Teacher training is sanctioned by the government not the teachers. I bet you are one of the moaners who feels pressured to pay for childcare in the school hols.

Reply Posted by Shaun on Sunday April 22 2012 at 14:24
I don't hate kids; I've never said anything of the sort. Let me put it another way. I can't afford to own and support a yacht so you know what … I don't have one and I certainly don't expect anyone else to pay for my decision it have one.

Reply Posted by Charlotte Johnson on Wednesday April 25 2012 at 20:07
Shaun has got a very good point which a lot of people share but dont always speak out. If you cant afford to bring them up on your own wage / savings then dont have them, same applys if you cant look after them.
They should definatly stop benefits where one of the parents are working i cant believe they actualy pay that out.And they wonder why the country is in such a mess .