Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Fatal fire caused by tea-light

Monday March 20 2017


The woman was found in the house around 5.50pm on Friday The woman was found in the house around 5.50pm on Friday


A HOUSE fire in Staincross in which a woman died is thought to have been caused by a tea-light.

The woman's body was found inside the property on New Road at around 5.50pm on Friday.

South Yorkshire Fire Service said the house was "well alight" when crews arrived.

Investigators at the scene believe a small tea-light candle was to blame.

Graham Toms of South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue told the BBC: "Due to the conditions inside, it was very, very difficult working conditions.

"They brought the lady out instantly but unfortunately she was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.

"Conclusions at this moment in time are that it's an accidental fire caused by smoking material or more likely, a tea-light."

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "The fire is thought to have started accidentally, with a candle the most likely cause.

"Investigators will now prepare their findings for the coroner.

"Our thoughts and condolences remain with the loved ones of the woman who died."

Leave a comment

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.