Locals invited to have their say on new town centre

Tuesday March 14 2017

The Glass Works The Glass Works

LOCALS are being invited to have their say on plans for The Glass Works, including the new cinema and bowling alley.

The council says it wants to hear local people's thoughts on the plans before the planning application is submitted.

It was announced last Thursday that Cineworld and Superbowl UK are the first companies on board with the scheme.

The Glass Works will be located on the site around Cheapside and will provide day time and night time offer, including a range of new shops, restaurants, a new home for Barnsley’s markets, a central library and public square - as well as the cinema and bowling.

It will also feature 25 shops - of which six will be larger stores - 10 restaurants and a 500 space car park.

The scheme is set to create 800 new jobs.

Consultation will take place at the Better Barnsley shop on Cheapside on Tuesday March 21 between 10.30am-3pm, and Wednesday March 22 between 3pm-7pm.

You can also click here to fill in a feedback form.

The deadline for feedback is Monday, April 3 2017.

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 15:59
Greatest opportunity for years to get this town up & running so let's get it right. I understand the plans and the vision but yet again the architecture is letting it down - Flat roofs again - "sixties style", haven't you planners learnt anything, apex roofs give charm and a pleasantly look and feel to any building and need a lot less maintenance, yes expensive in the short term but let's look to the future - get rid of those flat roofs please.

Reply Posted by James Fox on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 16:32
Its good that the town centre is getting re vamped. However I would expect that the owner of parkway is non too impressed. Or Barnsley bowl. First and foremost money should be spent on getting rid of the smack head filth that seem to live in our town centre . Perhaps if the council put the cigarette police to better use instead of harassing the good working folk .

Reply Posted by JD on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 12:19
Unfortunately smack head filth as you put it, can be found in every town and city in the world.

And you will be naive to think a lot of these new places won’t have security to help move people on.

Unfortunately I have been in Parkway twice in my lifetime, when I pay to watch a movie I prefer facilities and quality. At the moment it means me and many other drives outside of the town to do this.

If Parkway was modern, had more choices and betters screens, better seats etc I’d go. But at the moment I prefer to go elsewhere.

Reply Posted by JD on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 12:19

Reply Posted by What a laugh on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 17:15
That's the best laugh I've had in a long time! When have BMBC EVER taken notice of the needs and wants of the people of this once fine town? They will have already decided what's going to happen in the future. They are being polite by asking us good people for our opinions. Don't be conned into thinking they care. They don't.

Reply Posted by russ on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 22:49
I agree with all thats said the council does not care a dam what the public wants, just likes to feather their own nest. And buy ipods for all the councillors.

Reply Posted by Dave Moncreif on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 08:09
Yes but the good people of this once proud town continue to vote the money squandering Labour CLOWNS in time after time after time don't they?
If you want real change then stop voting for said Labour Clowns!

Reply Posted by confused on Thursday March 16 2017 at 19:13
Who do you recommend that we vote for then Dave,and why ?

Reply Posted by Victoria on Sunday March 19 2017 at 17:34
The problem is that Barnsley has been Labour for a very long time and no matter who Labour decide to instil as MP we will have Labour (not a fan in any way shape or form of the current Barnsley Central incumbent). I know Stockport recently upturned their Labour MP, but I can't see Barnsley ever will, except with the possible exception if George Osborne decides to stand for Barnsley Central (though saying that we probably have currently a close second).

Reply Posted by Dave Moncreif on Monday March 20 2017 at 15:53
Anybody bar the money squandering Labour clowns.
They have had unrivalled power for almost a century and what do we have to show for it?
Absolute ZIP THATS WHAT!

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 17:38
The current regime at Barnsley Council will do what they want, not what the residents want. The consultation is all cosmetic.

Reply Posted by JD on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 12:14
Who made you the majority?

I certainly want this. Looks good to me, I along with many other will use this and go here often. To be honest I have been shopping in Barnsley I’d say twice in 5 years, nothing there.

These plans and the facilities will bring me and many others who go to other placers for cinema etc to the centre.

I just hope parking will be available close by the cinema with security at night. Don’t want to park up for the cinema for example and have to walk from wherever to go to the cinema.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 18:42
Alright Brian. Who invited Buzz Killington? Would you rather it stayed the same?

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 19:13
Stayed the same as what? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Reply Posted by Golly on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 20:10
Stay the same are you joking it's one big mess Barnsley will never be the same nobody can shop in Barnsley if they want anything decent.

Reply Posted by Toni on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 09:45
Why do they always release plans that are too good to be true and obviously they don't happen ! Believe it when I see works starting !

Reply Posted by aol on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 12:18
erm...

Its started.

Reply Posted by JD on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 17:42
Haha. You not noticed that the markets have temporarily moved to help start the works?

Reply Posted by rjw on Friday March 17 2017 at 07:31
actually it has not started. What has started in phase 1 which was approved ages ago, This announcement is about the next phase

Reply Posted by JD on Friday March 17 2017 at 12:19
So its started then...... The phases are a process, It started the moment the contractors arrived on side and the first works took place, back then it was demolishing the old council offices.

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday March 17 2017 at 13:36
JD bit pedantic, so why are they asking for feedback then and why has planning permission not been put in then yet? This part is still in planning stage and is seperate to the markets project.

you could say that it was started over 10 years ago then as the building of the dmc was a phase in the original grandiose plans or process as you call it that included the halo.

Has is started then yet? there's the process of finding the extra millions first

Reply Posted by JD on Friday March 17 2017 at 15:23
No, this is the Better Barnsley Town Centre redevelopment. All schemes have phases. the work starts at the moment the first phase starts. That the nature of the work. The work on the library is underway, the old car park offices demolished to enable the start of the works.

Works start the moment phase 1 starts. And then runs through to in this case phase 5 I think. Phase 5 can't be completed without phase 1, so yes the work has started.

Reply Posted by Wodger Wabbit on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 18:30
The sooner we vote these Labour councillors out the better. They're more interested in Gypos and asylum seekers than Barnsley folk.

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 16 2017 at 12:29
Are you real?

Reply Posted by Eric Bailey on Friday March 17 2017 at 21:46
I would like to see the footbridge over the railway line, be as wide as a motorway, they then could have shops down both sides, and link this into the Alhambra Centre, with esculators.

Reply Posted by Victoria on Sunday March 19 2017 at 17:30
Barnsley is a relatively small town and will not be able to cope with all the renovations and additions IF the council go ahead with all their lofty ambitions. I mean lets face it what is the likelihood of a 500 space car park being filled (especially when it is very rare that the Alhambra car park is ever full), the idea of having 10 screen Cinema (Which will detract from Parkway), re-working The Civic (detracting from The Lamproom), the new library (which is already 6 months delayed and may not even have enough money for the 'innards), when there is nothing really wrong with Wellington House. No Barnsley need to stop needlessly (in my opinion), spending money on things that can't be sustained (I mean the extra traffic (pedestrian and vehicular) and the mess and anti-social behaviour that that will bring will add to the ever increasing anti-social behaviour in the town centre. In recent months the town centre has become more 'unwelcoming' with people fighting, swearing, beggars, mobility scooters (I am not convinced all are being used because of actual need (the drivers are also becoming more and more inconsiderate), it will make the already limited town square even smaller. No Barnsley Council have lofty ideas, but not a big enough town to design them in. Sorry for the long diatribe but I feel it needed to be said!

Reply Posted by JD on Monday March 20 2017 at 12:13
Sorry but I want to live in a modern town. The Civic was here long before the lamproom. The Parkway is poor facility wise, not fit for my purpose. So I travel to Sheffield.

Barnsley to get this right is a large town, holds nearly 260,000 which is a big town.

Really getting fed up at the depressing to read posts now. We need a modern library, wellington House for a town centre library is not fit for a modern library.

What a poor opinion. I understand everyone has an opinion but that is just doom mongering.