Cineworld confirmed for Barnsley

Thursday March 9 2017

The new public square - featuring the cinema The new public square - featuring the cinema

CINEWORLD has been confirmed as the new cinema operator for Barnsley - while a laser quest, bowling alley and soft play area have also been announced.

Barnsley Council made the announcement today and unveiled more information on The Glass Works, the £120 million retail-led scheme that is set to transform the heart of the town centre.

The cinema will have 13 screens, with over 2,000 seats anchored by a full height 450 seat Super Screen. Cineworld says the screens will have the "very latest digital surround sound systems with curved wall to wall, floor to ceiling screens, stadia seating and plenty of leg room."

Superbowl UK was the second company to be announced. As well as bowling, it will bring its Laser Quest and Crazy Club soft play offer to the town.

The new venue will boast 12 bowling lanes and a lounge bar and food diner - as well as an amusement arcade arena alongside the play centre.

Both companies have taken a 20 year lease.

The Glass Works, the new name given to the town centre development, is located on the site around Cheapside and will provide day time and night time offer, including a range of new shops, restaurants,  a new home for Barnsley’s markets, a central library and public square - as well as the cinema and bowling.

It will also feature 25 shops - of which six will be larger stores - 10 restaurants and a 500 space car park.

The scheme is set to create 800 new jobs.

Having already committed £50 million to fund the first phase of the scheme, Barnsley Council has committed another £70 million to fund the remainder of the scheme, bringing its total investment in the development to £120 million.

Council Leader Sir Stephen Houghton said:
“We are delighted to announce that we will be funding the delivery of The Glass Works, the new and exciting leisure and retail scheme in Barnsley town centre. We are investing another £70 million in addition to the £50 million already committed making a total investment of £120 million, giving Barnsley something it has lacked for a long time.

"This has been a priority for the council for many years now and we are finally moving forward and giving Barnsley what it deserves; a vibrant town centre.

“We haven’t taken this decision lightly; we’re confident that it is the right thing to do and will contribute towards building a thriving economy. An investment like this will stimulate inward investment, economic growth and create more and better jobs by providing around 800 new retail and leisure opportunities and temporary jobs in the construction industry.

“Throughout the development we have maintained that we will keep the markets at the heart of it all and the final design for The Glass Works shows we have stayed true to our word, while at the same time adding in the modern retail, restaurants and leisure offer. We’re also making progress with our ambitious plans for the wider town centre to bring the whole of Barnsley up to date to make it a popular visitor destination.”

The scheme is scheduled for completion in May 2020.

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:05
Brilliant news

Reply Posted by Marky on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:12
Sounds a good plan. Although I thought we were going through lean times.
For a development this size, surely the car parking will have to be more than is currently available.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:21
They are supposed to be building a new multi story on the old carpet world site but from some reason they are delaying that by at least a year even though the site is vacant

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:28
Its still coming, The car park looks like it is going to be above some of the larger shops which will be there in that location.

Its been used as a compound as it isn't the current phase.

If you want to see the new plans which are impressive they are easy to find online.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:27
I thought the multi story was going to be at the side of the new build and at present it is being used to build small 3 brick high walls and then knocked down again every few days as it is being used by the college to train bricklayers which I believe to be a waste of time when it is directly setting back the carpark by a year

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:20
A restaurant and soft play area? Weren't both of those being planned for the competing Chicago rock building before it's mysterious fire?

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:30
Yes, but if you read it its all with the Bowling company who will operate them.

No need to be sceptical, just read the info.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:22
I read the info and I know who they are being incorporated into. I just find it an interesting coincidence that a rival plan just a few hundred yards away went up in smoke in suspicious circumstances.

Reply Posted by The man with no face on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:29
It sounds good till everyone has been bowling and to pictures a few times and had a go on laser quest, I'm not sure if it will get enough custom after that, I hope I'm wrong

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:32
Cineworld will bring people in. The number will be unknown.

But loads go to the one in Sheffield due to one not been close by. And some don't go at all due to no modern facilities at the moment.

Reply Posted by luke on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:34
Great news for barnsley hopefully this will attract people in from other towns and cities and boost the towns economy and make it more of an up and coming place. Pity the funding can't be stretched to regenerating the residential outskirts of the centre too

Reply Posted by Clare taylor on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:35
Why do we need a overpriced multiplex with inferior small screens.parkway has gave us a cinema for years when no one else wanted to.also there is a bowling alley in town center already and we have a bowling alley at barnsley bowl.no one uses metrodome much but dont need another bowling alley.spending money in wrong place

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:40
Metrodome Bowling Alley is very popular, you really need to book in to go.

People have been begging for a good cinema for years. No one goes to Parkway due to the facilities, people want modern, and instead drive to Sheffield Cineworld or Showcase in leeds instead. No this one will take those customers plus people like myself who don't go due to not been close by.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:25
Cineworld small screens? Cineworld Sheffield has one of the biggest screens around and they have announced a huge screen for the Barnsley cineworld.

It is sad that it will have an affect on the parkway but what it brings the the town makes up for that. Hopefully there will be a market for both of them attracting different clientele but if they go up against each other then cineworld would obviously win

Reply Posted by Aol on Thursday March 9 2017 at 19:22
You need to do some more research before making silly comments. Google the screen sizes and try and book a lane on a night at the Metrodome.

Reply Posted by Big d on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:47
Not great news for the current cinema in town. I would rather have the smack heads and drunks in peel square delt with first. It's embarrassing

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:49
Oh my god, what does Cineworld coming have to do with smackheads in town.

There are smackheads in every town and city in the world.

Reply Posted by luke on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:52
Agree with ' big d ' I feel bad for the owners of parkway but something definately needs doing about the undesirables in the centre. Holden house hostel and recent boom in h.m.o's isn't helping the problem. But someone up there at council keeps approving applications for them eh?

Reply Posted by Lola on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:34
Yes Luke, we can live without all of the degrading screaming matches between dealers and users, makes me shudder with fright. I would be all for a very remote place in the back of beyond for them. Why should we all be subject to their lifestyles?

Reply Posted by Jay on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:00
This is exactly what's wrong with Barnsley at the moment. We are getting multi million pound investment (much more than other local areas) to create something that will make the town more vibrant, profitable and entering the 21st century. However they find whatever reason possible to moan because we're not still stuck in the 70's. I'll give it 10 more comments before people start blaming the pit closures.

Reply Posted by Billy Elliot's Dad on Friday March 10 2017 at 08:42
JAY - I blame Thatcher! This wouldn't be happening if she not closed all the pits!!!

On a serious note I think its a fantastic idea, creating jobs is just one of the many reasons. I walk through the town as little as possible now. I love this town but it has become an embarrassment in the town centre. I'd hate to think I was an OAP walking through and having this as my main selection of shops. I hate to say it but the town has become a homing ground for lowlife scum, I see evidence of drugs and alcohol abuse everywhere. I really hope the centre becomes a place where you can walk around and have a leisurely browse in the shop windows because it is in great need of drastic change. I can't remember the last time I was in Parkway cinema, it was a good few years ago. I agree we're struck in the 70s. There's one thing I've learnt about the people of this fantastic town is that it's full of whingers and moaners, they complain when the Council doesn't spend money and then complain when they don't. I agree totally with Jay on this 100%. I'm surprised Trump hasn't been blamed for this yet. Well done BMBC. Lets bring Barnsley in to the 21st century!!!

Reply Posted by Marilyn hallworth on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:22
And what happens to the cinema and 2 local bowling alleys we already have? Does barnsley have the need for multi screen cinema? We need decent shops not just charity shops phone shops and bookies. These plans are all well and good but ambitious??

Reply Posted by JD on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:31
Are you real? Have you ever been to Parkway.

People want modern times, and don't worry, the other 2 bowling alleys are always busy so will be fine.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:30
I go to the cinema all the time, I travel to Sheffield.
My sister takes her children once every two weeks, they go to cineworld at Sheffield.
My friend and his girlfriend go regularly to Sheffield.
I personally know a lot of people who use Sheffield cineworld and to a lesser extent meadowhall but I don't personally know a single person who uses the parkway.

Reply Posted by JD on Friday March 10 2017 at 12:18
Agree, I pay for the facilities and the modern technology.

Which to me rules out the one at Meadowhall too as that is similar to Parkway. Cineworld or Showcase are the ones to go to. Or even Excape.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Saturday March 11 2017 at 12:09
The meadowhall cinema is getting ripped out and rebuilt at the opposite side of meadowhall in the next couple of years. Hopefully ours opens first so we get the first mover advantage

Reply Posted by JD on Monday March 13 2017 at 12:07
I saw that, looks like some work is going to be done at Meadowhall. With this been a Cineworld it should attract the customers.

Reply Posted by Marilyn hallworth on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:26
The investment will surely come from raised rates. As for Parkway Rob and his team are lovely friendly people. Do you get that at cineworld? They will be expensive too. It's shops we need

Reply Posted by Cat on Thursday March 9 2017 at 22:38
"It's shops we need"

Those are the other coloured things on the plans, there's quite a few of them...

Reply Posted by Al ashford on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:31
Brilliant. I just hope they have a multi storey car park as the one at sheffield is ludicrously small for the amount of people who go. When can we start applying for the vacancies?

Reply Posted by RM on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:47
Can't believe the comments.

Like BMC will take a jot of notice. We're moving forward like at Bridwell roundabout and the WYBONE roundabout: doesn't matter what the residents want - if the councillors like it, it's a goer.

Seriously, more of what we already have? Makes you wonder if someone is desperately trying to leave a 'legacy'.

Anyone seen the financials by the way? We have an idea of what it will cost, umpty £M, but what is it going to bring generate and cointribute? 800 new jobs of which how many are temporary? Where are the numbers?

Hmmmm, can't say I would want to look back and say 'I did that!'

Cynical? Me? No way.

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday March 9 2017 at 15:47
RM - Most of the people who read the comments regularly know I'm a massive cynic and pretty critical of our believed council.

My main concern is where is the money coming from? I know the council said they (we) are paying for it but what with? Our council tax has just gone up and we're told more austerity is on the way. When they started this project it was 40 million, watered down from the 150 million project that was cancelled as it relied on private investment.

The 40 million project was a refurb of the existing market this went up to 50million quite quickly . The old 150 million project was a whole new market and shopping precinct.

We were told there wasn't the money for the 150 million project - but now all of a sudden there is another 70 million on top of the 50 (up from 40 million) available taking us up to 120 million of public money.

So now there is money in the coffers, it's good news but I want to know how it will be paid for especially when we're looking at more cuts to public funding.

I agree with you I think Knight Houghton is trying to leave his legacy, but it could be at the expense of public services, infrastructure and social care for years to come.

The critical me thinks the images look godawful too, bit of a throwback to the 60's anyone?

Please feel free to abuse my opinions below.

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday March 9 2017 at 16:52
Just seen the video and I take it back the stucture looks pretty good. Just need that magic money tree now.

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday March 9 2017 at 22:40
I'd happily pay more council tax to support it. Maybe the scrounges could too?

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday March 9 2017 at 22:41
*scroungers

Reply Posted by aop on Friday March 10 2017 at 10:43
So you've made all those comments without seeing the video.

Brilliant - you can't make it up. I wonder if you were the one on here moaning that they wouldn't get the money for the second phase, now they have you're wondering where they've got it from....

Leave it to the young un's it for them to enjoy in the future, back in our hey day our council made a pigs ear of the town centre with their pebble dash obsession.

Reply Posted by Dave Moncreif on Wednesday March 15 2017 at 08:22
Loans Ray, Loans that will saddle future generations with massive debts.
But Houghton and his nest feathering cronies wont give a monkeys about said future generations as they will all be brown bread.

Reply Posted by Posh Tory on Thursday March 9 2017 at 13:56
Brilliant news for the area. Shame that some people prefer the scruffy parkway; wouldn't ever catch anyone like me in there! Hopefully this is a sign of the town becoming a little more upmarket. Won't have to travel out to other towns for the experience I deserve!

Reply Posted by Dean on Thursday March 9 2017 at 14:01
Good Move, central Barnsley has been dying for years, it needs something to try claw people back.

Reply Posted by Luke on Thursday March 9 2017 at 14:42
Oh I know lola I've seen this many times. I live like a three minute walk from the centre and I avoid going in anymore it's just so grim! The streets get worse too land lords don't give a dam who they rent their houses to or what the neighbours have to put up with.

Reply Posted by Debra Osborne on Thursday March 9 2017 at 15:11
About time! Looking forward to a better Barnsley

Reply Posted by Rob G on Thursday March 9 2017 at 15:47
Great news for Barnsley. Can't wait to see it being developed and going of course.

Reply Posted by Crossy on Thursday March 9 2017 at 16:22
I go to Parkway every week its not Scruffy and staff are lovely and friendly stop pulling it and visit before you comment

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:44
It is not scruffy but it is dated which puts a lot of people off. There isn't much that the owner can do about it being dated though, that is just how it was built.

Reply Posted by Ryan on Thursday March 9 2017 at 17:35
**** bowling we have got one in Barnsley we need an real ice rink .

Reply Posted by Melanie Nutt on Thursday March 9 2017 at 17:51
Great news our cineworld card will be worn out

Reply Posted by Bek on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:16
Hope it had autism friendly viewings.

Reply Posted by Tanway on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:20
It's is a good job they plan to spend the next £70 million,,,, other wise we would be a laughing stock again!
Please remember this was supposed to happen around 2005/6
Sir Steve talks so much blarney,,,, where does he live???

Reply Posted by Bek on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:20
*has not had

Reply Posted by Hmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:35
All cineworlds do so yes it will

Reply Posted by Deborah KWG on Thursday March 9 2017 at 18:25
I agree with Ray about the look of the plans, not pretty! I wish the council would look at the lovely old architecture we have and build something to complement it. We do need more choice in shops to bring people in and avoids traveling to other towns.

Reply Posted by j.s on Thursday March 9 2017 at 20:52
That means council tax will be going up again

Reply Posted by Matt on Thursday March 9 2017 at 21:05
Fab news - well done to all involved. Impressive and very high quality development. I'm pleasantly surprised by the mostly positive comments too.

The parkway may be able to carve its own niche. But the simple problem is it just doesn't have the range of films people expect due to its 2 screens. Multiplexes are now essential, especially for a town the size of Barnsley.

People seem to think Barnsley is a small place. It's not, the town has nearly 100,000 people, the borough nearly quarter of a million. The promo for the new development has a spurious population of 350,000 which presumably includes chunks of neighbouring towns as within the shopping catchment area.

Very positive news.

Reply Posted by justme on Thursday March 9 2017 at 21:12
nice investment i really hope it all happens but can a town centre really need possibly 3 cinemas?
i dont get why they didnt offer parkway the chance to run this new cinema instead of cineworld (they do have two "modern ones elsewhere) esp as the council are supposed to support local business and parkway have provided employment in the town for a number of years...

Reply Posted by Big T on Friday March 10 2017 at 08:43
Do you think the owners of Parkway have the money to kit out a full multiplex with all new modern equipment when they run a basic 80s style 2 screen cinema that hasnt moved with the times? BMBC are not giving Cineworld a giant stuffed money hat to fill the cinema with equipment, Cineworld themselves will be footing that bill.
A multiplex needs someone that has the finances and expertise to operate and Cineworld is one of the better ones in the country to do that.

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Thursday March 9 2017 at 21:32
Its a good idea we need shops news pub places 4 children to play stop charging to much rent

Reply Posted by Sam B on Thursday March 9 2017 at 22:41
I have just moved to Barnsley after 20 years of living in Sheffield .. I love this place and guess what it's going to get better .. brilliant news... some of the buildings in the town are simply superb .. the Town Hall what a masterpiece it is ... onwards and upwards I say

Reply Posted by Name on Friday March 10 2017 at 10:47
And the folk of Barnsley moaned in 1932 that the Town Hall at a cost of just over £188,000 was a waste of money, now look at it. They want it all for "nowt".

The new town centre is just what we need, get behind and stop giving money to the dee dars down the road at Meadowhall.

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday March 9 2017 at 22:43
Bowling we got bowling alley why not ice skating proper ice not that plastic stuff real ice rink were kids can have lesson learn to skate disco night s Friday like at Sheffield ice

Reply Posted by No one listens anyway on Friday March 10 2017 at 00:05
We are going to be a mess in 30 years the next Birmingham Southampton luton or bradford they do the place up make it nice move people in then it becomes underfunded and struggles again..

Reply Posted by JD on Friday March 10 2017 at 13:08
Whats wrong with Birmingham or Southampton?

Suppose you would prefer living in the 40's?

Reply Posted by Yorkshire Lady on Friday March 10 2017 at 22:25
Today I went to town to do my usual weekly shop. The town centre is "a building site" as we all know, and it will be for a good while. But there is no gain without some pain. I dreaded my visit knowing that the town is such a mess at the moment.
I was surprised all the Market was open, and so we found the way in:- the walk way is uneven and unpleasant, the Meat and Fish Market was very busy. We were told by the stall holders that business was better today and that more people were there. We walked through into the old market area:- the place was buzzing:- lots of people, lookers and shoppers. Good game finding the stalls we wanted. already much better to have all the stalls on one level. We never went upstairs in the old market, so today found new stalls to visit. Yes there were grumbles and moans- can't please everyone!
There was a good optimistic feel about the place, just for once I enjoyed my trip. I hope the best is yet to come.

Reply Posted by Cineworld sucks on Saturday March 11 2017 at 09:43
We don't need a cineworld! We have a cinema! But sure, let's support a multimillion pound corporate company instead of a small local business. Parkway can't compete with a 13 screen cinema and they shouldn't have to try!

Reply Posted by Stuck in time on Saturday March 11 2017 at 17:07
What a load of rubbish, 2 screens can't hold near enough the amount of films that are released, the place is outdated and don't even comment on the paint job on the outside of it.

Welcome to the 21st century

Reply Posted by Tim Totty on Saturday March 11 2017 at 13:49
Name, the town hall was built on the cheap, the complaints were about the local unemployed been forced to labour on the town hall for dole money, it was that or digging ditches only to fill them in again at the end of the 'work' day. Not a lot has changed expect now you will have to go work for free at Asos, proud sponsor of this site and everything that's wrong with todays employers who only want serfs rather than workers. As for the incomers who pretend to represent the people of Barnsley it's strange how they can find money to tart up the town hall and buy ugly 'art works' while sacking council staff by the boat load to save taxpayers money.

Reply Posted by Name on Saturday March 11 2017 at 17:12
You need to read George Orwells book -
"The foundation stone of Barnsley Town Hall was laid on 21 April 1932 and was opened by His Royal Highness Edward, Prince of Wales on 14 December 1933. The cost of construction of the town hall and of furnishing the new seat of local government was £188,037 12/10d. George Orwell in his book The Road to Wigan Pier was highly critical of this expenditure, and claimed that the council should have spent the money on improving the housing and living conditions of the local miners.[1] " Orwell spent a number of days in the town living in the houses of the working-class miners while researching for the book."

Reply Posted by Name on Saturday March 11 2017 at 17:14
George Orwell was highly critical and he represented what a lot of the towns folk thought at the time. Glad the councillors built it in the end.

Reply Posted by Neil firtj on Sunday March 12 2017 at 10:15
All good news about time Barnsley was pulled from the dark ages it's not 1980 anymore.
We need good shops like Sheffield and Leeds not all cheep rubbish there is a place for high quality too

Reply Posted by Tim Totty on Sunday March 12 2017 at 15:44
Name, not disputing the figures, just stating the fact that local unemployed, in a depression, were forced to labour on the town hall for dole money to keep costs down. This was in a time when dole was funded locally and to claim you had to have nothing, if you had valuables they would have be sold as part of the means testing of the day. When you had sold or pawned everything you owned then they would give you public assistence. Also E A Blair (Orwell) only wrote two decent boots, AF and 1984, rest of his writings merely displayed his middle class guilt at not been born working class, imo that is.

Reply Posted by Barrybush on Sunday March 12 2017 at 19:44
Just reading through the comments and omg wot the hell do people want
it's about time Barnsley moved into modern times not been funny and look some off you its a shame to loss old place like the pictures but in ten years time the younger generation wouldn't remember them anyway onwards and upwards for Barnsley every other city town are so why keep us in stone ages xx

Reply Posted by Starlord on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 11:21
Will it be an IMAX or will we still have to travel to Sheffield?

Reply Posted by JD on Tuesday March 14 2017 at 12:38
Probably yet to be decided, but would you really travel further for a IMAX film. Saw a movie on IMAX once and I wouldn't pay extra again. These will be good screens though.

The Empire one at Allambra will have an equivalent of Imax