Police investigating Kirk Balk gun reports

Wednesday March 8 2017

Police are investigating reports a gun was taken into the school yesterday Police are investigating reports a gun was taken into the school yesterday

POLICE have confirmed that they are investigating reports that a gun was taken into Kirk Balk Academy by a pupil yesterday.

Officers say they received the information from a third party.

A spokesperson said: "While this is not a confirmed sighting of a firearm at this time, South Yorkshire Police takes reports of this nature incredibly seriously and a robust investigation is now underway to ensure that we quickly identify anyone that may have been involved.

"We do not tolerate the possession and/or use of firearms or other weapons and if a crime has been committed, this investigation will deal appropriately with anyone responsible and will take the necessary action to remove any weapons.

"If anyone knows anything about this matter and can help officers with their investigation, please contact police as a matter of urgency.

"You can call 101 or email enquiries@southyorks.pnn.police.uk quoting incident number 984 of 7 March 2017."

Kirk Balk Academy told parents this morning that it was safe to take their children into school - however some parents kept their kids at home due to concerns over the incident.

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.

Reply Posted by Joanne Copley on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 12:29
What a load of tripe they never let me know about this just found out on here that this has happened and I have a son who goes here totally fuming. I sent him to school too just hope the person who may have done this as been kept off school .

Reply Posted by Gem on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 13:17
I agree with Joanne, my son attends kirk balk and they have my contact details, i have not been told anything at all regarding this situation!

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 14:06
I saw something on Facebook last night school as not informed me about this I keep my son of because not got any answers to say it was safe or not

Reply Posted by Laura chantrey on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 14:48
Well I rang school this morning and spoke to mr Buckley and was told police had already been in and it was a misunderstanding of a conversation. So I sent mine this morning as I was told it was safe.

Reply Posted by Alison on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 17:25
I found out this morning luckily before my daughter went I kept her off and will be going up tomorrow morning with her wasn't happy with the answers I got when I phoned

Reply Posted by Nicki on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 17:34
Very disappointed school did not contact us what so ever I had to make the decision whether it was safe to send mine today, different if they wanted money for a trip I'd of had a text!!!

Reply Posted by S walton on Wednesday March 8 2017 at 17:59
The police have released a statement saying there is no truth to this story and it was a fabrication made up by students in jest

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 09:39
The comments from parents here are laughable. I kept my son/daughter off school because the school didn't tell us it was safe. They dont tell you every day that it's safe. How about you assume it is unless they tell you it isn't? Does a smoke alarm beep to tell you there isn't a fire? No

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday March 9 2017 at 12:35
My comment is the only one that makes sense