News » WAB Debate

Supermarket Parking Fines: Who Has Had One?

Monday December 12 2011

Over the last few weeks on We Are Barnsley, we have noticed an increase in the number of people coming on reporting that they have been issued fines from Barnsley's biggest supermarkets for parking in the car park for longer than the allowed time.

We have had many reports from people getting fined in the Asda car park on Old Mill Lane for staying over the allowed time of two and a half hours.

We are compiling a report to try to clarify the situation as there are lots of people who paid the fine, but others who didn't as they claim it isn't enforceable.

We will try to clear the matter up but we need you to help us with our investigations. Please write on this post (not on Facebook as those get easily lost) when/where you got your fine and whether or not you paid it, also the reason for the fine.

Thanks all!

Reply Posted by pilley mark on Monday December 12 2011 at 14:51
how can you stop at asda for 2 1/2 hours

Reply Posted by Dan on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 11:01
Went to asda twice in the same day got PCN for £40 they failed to see the other two photos leaving and arriving,

Reply Posted by zoe on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:14
I had a fine come from Tesco for £70 or £75 - I phoned them up and said I wasnt going to pay it, they said that I should take this as a warning this time but next time I will have to pay - if it was enforcable they would have made me pay!

Reply Posted by zoe on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:14

Reply Posted by Tonybatty on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:28
Hi guys my name is Tony from Tonys barbers shop I have had one saying I have been in 5 hours shopping . They said I have to pay it which I am not it turns out when u go for petrol or a mcdonalds in the morning and go back at night it only Reg u going in and not out . So this makes u look like u have been there all day ...

Reply Posted by James Sheriff on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:39
If the parking ticket is not issued by a local authority and you have the balls—don't pay it. It's hard for the people who fine you to enforce it as it's a civil matter and they'd have to take you to court. Far more expensive for them with court fees etc.

Also it's the driver who is liable for parking charges. So if you own the car but it wasn't you driving you can notify the issuer of this but you DON'T have to tell them who was driving.

Reply Posted by Einst on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:45
Had a fine sent... Ignored it... Got another.... Ignored that... Got third, and thats it, not heard anything else.
It is not enforceable, as there is no law broken.. They have to prove trespass with intent.

Reply Posted by Spy camera on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:47
Simply stay as long as you like then drive out of the exit at the rear of the petrol station - there is no camera there logging vehicles out.

Reply Posted by Brad on Monday December 12 2011 at 15:50
Aren't only officials (Ie Police) allowed to use ANPR cameras then obtain the data from DVLA

Reply Posted by Craig372 on Monday December 12 2011 at 16:05
we got about three or four letters ignored them and touch wood have heasrd nothing since

Reply Posted by Garry Butler on Monday December 12 2011 at 16:12
Do not pay it, McDonalds operate a similar con in their car parks, I met a work colleague at McDonalds at Tankersley for a meeting and we both got a 'fine'. I complained but they insisted I paid, but I looked on the Internet and it seems it is a con and the advice given by forum sites was to ignore it. I did this and after the third 'fine' letter the demands stop.

Reply Posted by 2e0tts on Monday December 12 2011 at 16:27
They are private parking enforcement companies out to make money. I know this because my place of work operates one. Easy answer... DO NOT PAY.

They will not take you to court as someone as previously said, becuase it will cost them more than its worth. obviously ASDA/Mc Donald's will get a percentage out of each PCN issued. Thats how it works.

Do not pay them, after so long they will stop sending out threatening letters. They threat about taking legal action but its a load of nonsense!

Reply Posted by Maximize10 on Monday December 12 2011 at 19:11
I got a parking fine at Morrisons. I usually shop at the Corton Wood store where there is no charge for parking, so when I shopped at the Barnsley store it didn't even enter my head to look for a pay meter. Half an our later I came out the store to find a ticket on my car. I tried to contest but the council said I had to pay. Wasn't happy at all but paid up to avoid more costs.

Reply Posted by Martin Barron Mr-b on Monday December 12 2011 at 22:15
Hi I got 1 saying I was thier for 4 hrs
same as Tony I went in and then got petrol, and went out of that
exit. Later I called back and went out of the top exit. I have
receved 4 letters up to date, the last one from Graham White
Solicitors (NOTICE OF INTENDED LITIGATION) I am still not paying it
because I did not stay for longer than 30mins ???? only got the
letter today 12 december so I will keep you posted

Reply Posted by badwolf on Tuesday December 13 2011 at 04:30
am not shure but if there are cameras loging folks plates and no warning  that this is takeing place this could be a breach of your privacy

Reply Posted by Kev9209 on Wednesday December 14 2011 at 16:11
They work on percentages.......... hoping that a large enough percentage of people are daft enough to pay!!

Reply Posted by Kev9209 on Wednesday December 14 2011 at 16:12
Sorry my above comment is unfair, it should read  ....scared enough to pay!!!

Reply Posted by nowaymate on Thursday December 22 2011 at 10:57
you obviously don't know my wife and daughter!

Reply Posted by Nataliemichelle on Thursday March 1 2012 at 23:12
To shop elsewhere as well!

Reply Posted by Archer942 on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 20:20
this is a matter that seriousley drives me to rage against the penny pinching habits of both false and unlawfull aurthoritairians. NO parking tickets are lawfull (at all I REPEAT none at all). Try looking at your rights and not statutes and ACTS.
BILL OF RIGHTS ACT [1689] An Act Declaring the Rights and Liberties of the Subject and Settling the Succession of the Crown.That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void; So this means that fines are illegal before a criminal act has been proven! But parking is not breaking the law and can not be a seen as a criminal act. thank for reading folks DAVE ARCHER

Reply Posted by Jo Sheldon on Friday April 6 2012 at 06:47
I had a fine in Jan 2011 I completely ignored all letters and got a phone call from Baliffs in July 2011 and just said prove it! I knew they couldn't. I figured if they cannot be bothered to record delivery they were not too serious. Any how I never heard another thnig. My advice is ignore it.

Reply Posted by Carolyne on Thursday June 21 2012 at 17:12
I went into morrisons car park it was busy and pouring so i drove around to find somewhere to park and then waited a little bit for the rain to stop since i had the children with me because it was half term. I went and buy a ticket for the car, i was back at the car before the ticket ran out, a week later i got a fine in the and pictures entering and exiting the car park because i was using  the carpark for over 2 hours.Have not paid as yet.

Reply Posted by samantha on Saturday March 16 2013 at 14:47
I need advice on what to do I got a fine through da post that I had to pay £60 I parked in island the stay hour is 1hour 30mins I only stayed 15mins extra now I don't know if I should pay it or not help me out

Reply Posted by lainy on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 05:57
I had a fine with Asda, phoned them up and the issuer told them there is no way going to pay, there has been no act of a criminal offence committed, they have no right imposing a hefty £70 charge on me. They agreed to delete the fine. Don't pay, you have rights. These companies are behaving badly against the people who are actually making them rich. Without us the consumers they would have no business.

Reply Posted by ianh on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 17:01
My son got one recently after allegedly being in Asda car park for 11 hours .. yes 11 hours .. as if .. he had been in in the morning for a Mcdonalds then went in late at night with mates for beer for a party, it's pretty obvious that the cameras being used are not fit for purpose .. Advice to people is just ignore the ticket, it's unenforceable !! only police and local councils can "fine" you ..

Reply Posted by Claire on Friday August 23 2013 at 14:26
Thanks for all the advise - I was 3 minutes late leaving savers car park on Peel Street the other day and I've been dreading the £90 fine coming in. If it does I will ignore it, thanks again #ninetyquidricher

Add new comment
Your email address will not be visible to other users of the website when you leave a comment.