News » WAB Debate

Council Debates Cutting Repairs To Its Houses - Your Thoughts?

Thursday July 28 2011

Barnsley Council has today launched an investigation to discover what impact it would have on its tenants if it did fewer repairs to its housing stock.

The Scrutiny Commission will meet at 2pm today at Central Library, Shambles Street after swathing budget cuts were announced - including the allowances to maintain and improve housing.

A spokesman said: "A lot of progress has been made in recent years to upgrade housing in the borough, which has helped improve the quality of life for many Barnsley people. But the commission fears this might be at risk because of budget cuts, and is especially worried those whose homes still need improving will miss out. The commission wants to find out just how big these cuts are going to be and what is going to be done to reduce their impact on Barnsley’s different communities."

The commission members will today speak to experts and those who run public housing in the borough to find out what the current state of Barnsley’s housing stock is and where there are still problems.

The commission wants to hear from witnesses what they think will be the impact of financial reductions, what improvements will now not be made and which communities are likely to be worst affected.

What do you think? Has your council house been repaired or are you still waiting - tell us your experience and we will pass it on.
The commission plans to conclude its investigation at its meeting on 29 September, with a report on its findings.

Reply Posted by Micheleholding1 on Thursday July 28 2011 at 09:01
i live in a council house and the repairs service has been great. i am a single mother with health problems so if i'm going to be responsible for repairs i have to rely on someone else to carry these out and then pay to have them done. the government says on benefit forms you need so much to live on so are they going to give me extra for repairs to a property i dont own..... i dont think so either.

Reply Posted by Silversurfer_2010 on Thursday July 28 2011 at 11:15
We are pensioners and wouldn't be able to afford to pay for repairs, the council house we live in now the kitchen is falling to bits but we can't have a new one there is no way we could afford to do this ourselves so where would that eave us????????????????

Reply Posted by NicolaLewington on Thursday July 28 2011 at 11:35
I live in a council house n I think its disgusting how, what and how long repairs are done. I have a 3 year old daughter and in my semi house there are no locks what so ever on any of the upstairs double glazed windows! they refused to changed the window handles to ones with locks in them and simply said that it is my own responsibility for the safety of my daughter and to change them as there is 'no fault' with the windows. I currently have my daughter sleeping in my bedroom for the fear of her waking up in her own room in the middle of the night and jumping out of the window which more than likely will result in her killing herself. they have the money to build new council houses, why not make safe, repair and refurbish the old houses to the standards of the newly built houses??

Reply Posted by F Harston787 on Thursday July 28 2011 at 13:13
Hi Michele,
You have the right of appeal, I think you have a good case from the health and safety point of view ESPECIALLY WHERE CHILDREN A INVOLVED, persist and take it as far as you can, even take it up with your own MP.
F.H.

Reply Posted by F Harston787 on Thursday July 28 2011 at 13:18
Sorry Nicola,
My previous post to Michele was realy meant to apply to you,
Sorry.
FH

Reply Posted by F Harston787 on Thursday July 28 2011 at 13:18
Sorry Nicola,
My previous post to Michele was realy meant to apply to you,
Sorry.
FH

Reply Posted by Sburgess_bingo on Thursday July 28 2011 at 17:35
i had the exact same problem with my windows when i moved into my council house about 4 years ago, only difference is i was told i couldn't change the handles myself as it may cause damage to council property ..... guess what i changed them anyway for the saftey of my kids at my own expense. I've also reported my lovely rotted front fencing which i have also had to pay for myself as it wasn't all completely fallen to the floor just 80% of it !!! and to top it all i reported my path one day last week due to 2inch pot holes which run along my entire path which my mother in law who has had a knee replacement and sister who is pregnant with twins have both fell or nearly fell on it and my 3 children have all had there fair share of accidents on it . i quote what i was told 3 days ago.... oooh ya need it all re-doing love but they've only got you down as a repair so i'll stick a bit of cement in ya holes and you'll have to report it again in couple of months cause it wont last long.  REPAIRS WHAT REPAIRS . need i say more xx

Reply Posted by Daverobbo8441 on Friday July 29 2011 at 11:00
It's an interesting point regarding health and safety.  Pot holes in paths, windows with locks etc are all part of the outside of the house which Berneslai Homes as the Landlard has a duty to repair and maintain.  If an injury occurs through their neglect, they can be sued in Court.  Thats as long as they have a record of the tenant reporting it and the tenant can prove it.  Always ask for a reference number on reporting repairs or evidence in writting regarding them saying it is the responsibility of the tenant.

Reply Posted by Jamey Griffiths on Wednesday September 14 2011 at 08:34
They planning to make cuts to repairs but then their also on about spending £100 million on a new market place in town centre, they need to get real and start looking after the properties they got now.