News » WAB Debate

Tesco at Hoyland - Good idea or the end for local business?

Monday June 6 2011

The developer behind the new proposed Tesco store on Market Street, Hoyland, have released the details from their two day exhibition about the plans which was attended by 175 locals.
During the event residents were invited to leave their comments on the plans - with more than 85 per cent saying they were in favour of the store being built. But there is some opposition, and nearby shop owners have even collected petitions.
Independent research has shown that around 90 per cent of people currently travel outside of Hoyland to do their weekly shopping.
But what do you think? Is it a good thing for Hoyland, or could it spell the end for the businesses already in Hoyland?
Full news story can be found here

Reply Posted by Amy Lewis on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 07:24
In my opinion, I think it's a good idea. It will save us travelling further a field to do our weekly shop and is much more convenient. Tesco will I think on the whole be cheaper than smaller retailers because they are such a big company and I'm all in favour of saving a few opennies. I think the small businesses may suffer from Tesco being built but they will no doubt keep their regulars and people will still shop there for the smaller items they need rather than going to a big supermarket.

Reply Posted by Darren Morris on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 07:38
its a great idea, Hoyland lacks so much in terms of being able to buy locally, so I am in full favour of it. It means I can go to Tesco's AND into the smaller shops and market, rather than going out of town for everything because its not worth going all the way to morrisons and then calling in to Hoyland town for stuff as well.n

Reply Posted by Stuart Phillis on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 14:56
I disagree with it, Tesco's is probably the most expensive Supermarket around, and totally agree with the local shop owners been against it, as it will crush there trade, and its not going to be in Hoyland town centre anyways, so people who need to go to the market and so on will still have a walk on there hands, so may as well use CO-OP and the other shops in the town centre

Reply Posted by jaya on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 18:29
just another step on the way to be coming clone britain. 30 years time and you will only be able to shop in one of the main chains - like the US

Reply Posted by Jonniboi666 on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 19:13
At the end of the day its just a SHOP get use to it if its getting built its getting built, SIMPLE !!!
how may of you travel out of Hoyland to go shopping when you can have it right here on your door step?!?!? and what other shops have we got apart from the co-op witch to be quite fair you cant really do your weekly shop can you ??? If tesco's was not to be built you would only have yet another housing estate and half of the ones already been built aren't evening finished due to the " resection". rant over :o)

Reply Posted by tracy on Tuesday May 3 2011 at 19:17
If this opens it will be just down the road from me. I think it's a good idea. Aside from the "local" shops like the butchers/paper shop/grocers, there is little available in Hoyland. I know if I need anything other than basics I have to make a trip to Stairfoot or Wath (can't do with Morrisons) to get what I need from Tesco. I don't really think the market or local shops will suffer and if this brings jobs to the area then it can surely only be a good thing?

Reply Posted by John on Friday May 27 2011 at 12:24
More questions than comments.  Are they aware of why the land is for sale? Also what will happen to tesco express in hoyland?

Reply Posted by ben on Friday June 17 2011 at 15:12
i think its a great idea, it will cost less for us to go shopping instead of getting buses it will be in walking distance and all those who dont want it here they will go to the tesco, i dont know what they are complaining about, great idea should go along with it

Reply Posted by Geoffrey Brown on Monday June 20 2011 at 03:51
I was born in Barnsley Love Fishing and would love to here about the Barnsley Blacks Angling team and what there up to lived in Australia since 1971 just started carp fishing again the best thing is i had a knock on my front door and it was my brother Dennis that i had not seen in 42 years well a lot of crying and hugs came my way now im getting some top quality fishing gear from the UK sent by my brother as a kid i grow up in Worsbro Dale went to the Dale primary School   then Racecommon RD high School. Then to Barnsley Main Pit at 15years and every spare minute spent fishing on the canal and the REZ Cheers all in Barnsley Geoff Yorkie Brown

Reply Posted by brian on Thursday June 30 2011 at 21:35
I think its a great Idea.... I live just down the road so not only will it be convenient, this will bring more jobs in the area for our younger generation who can aspire to be managers one day.... love the idea..... open it please!!