News » WAB Debate

Should Wombwell Baths Stay Or Go?

Wednesday April 13 2011

Since it was announced that Wombwell Swimming Baths was earmarked for closure under budget cuts, there's been a public outcry.

A petition has collected 3,000 signatures of locals supporting the baths - but the council claim it is too expensive to upkeep as it would need serious renovation.

Others in the community are advocating that the community take over the running of it - but what do you think? Should Wombwell Baths stay - or is there more pressing things Barnsley Council needs to spend money on?

VIDEO HERE: http://www.wearebarnsley.com/2011/04/13/campaign-to-save-wombwell-baths/

Reply Posted by darton red on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 16:41
how many of the 3000 people that signed the petition actually go to the swimming baths? and how often do they go?

Reply Posted by Hemingfield Red on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 17:29
Should go but pump the money saved into Hoyland and bring that up to modern standards

Reply Posted by Suzy on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 17:38
That's why the baths are closing, not enough people are using it

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 18:10
I think it has to go due to need to renovate. Other pools are close enough but need to be open more. So many times pools not used, surely the main cost is in premises costs, seems silly to have them closed lots of the time all for the sake of saving the salary of £7 an hour lifeguards.

Reply Posted by Allan Hough on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 18:44
i can rember swimming there 40 yrs ago i went other mth and its still the same welcome to the twlight zone keep it open

Reply Posted by Bev on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 19:03
it should stay, not everyone wants to travel 10 miles thru to Barnsley pay extorniate prices, petrol to get their or bus fares, same with Hoyland they're wanting folk to keep fit, but yet expect us to get in car and travel to other areas, someone made a valid comment on the building being 100 years old in two years and may then become listed building, thats why they're not wantingto spend money. It just shows how strong a community we are in Wombwell if that many folk have signed the petition. We use Wombwell Amateur Swimming club for lessons, with closure these are now cancelled because all the other pools are charging two much for hire, they're volunteers, and are not willing to travel any further that wombwell, so thanks to the council, over 25 kids a week will lose their lessons. I cant afford and dont want to pay £40 for 8 lessons, when we pay a fraction of this for 12 , 1 hour lessons where they actually get in the pool with them. So, yes I DO want to save it, because we do use it. Its okay for all you folk living in and around Barnsley for the metrodome, but not everyone can afford to travel into town, or wants to get buses late a night for lessons. Give it to the community of Wombwell, apply for a big lottery grant, cos the council will only sell off the land for profit probably with outline planning permission for more houses or flats, which we dont want, we've got enough in Wombwell. David Cameron wants the Big Society, so thats what this community is showing.

Reply Posted by Digger on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 19:52
Why would you expect children to walk to Darfield Main Colliery School and not to Hoyland or Dearnside pool New Labour did all this in 1999 with Barnsley Premier Leisure its not the Coalition its New Labour modernisation you have been suckered

Reply Posted by darton red on Thursday April 14 2011 at 05:55
exactly. you cant keep anything open if noone is using it, thats just more money being wasted

Reply Posted by Netbug on Thursday April 14 2011 at 06:34
The reason the councils (not the government!!!) are shutting pools is because not enough people are using it or there are newer better ones near by, Wombwell for instance you have new one at Wath, one at Hoyland, and a big one in town, There are people in this town that have to travel that the same distance to go swimming. I think that some people need to remember that if they keep the swimming pool open something will close somewhere else, perhaps something that is used by more people.

Reply Posted by Turtonstavern on Thursday April 14 2011 at 09:36
ask the staff at wombwell, they will tell you wombwell pays its way,plenty of people use it.

Reply Posted by Mart-wombwell on Wednesday April 20 2011 at 17:35
ive been going on and off for a while when i can, depends on times with work etc, why should i travel to barnsley which i never ever ever go to to swimm when theres one at wath??? lol keep it up keep our local pool and stopp cutting our lesuire facilities.

Reply Posted by Austiniho on Saturday April 23 2011 at 19:32
The reason they are closing it, is because it's an easy target. They say it needs a hundreds of thousands spent on it... Not true, it does need money, but not the stupid amounts that have been put forward. You'll find that a lot of people go and are subscribed to the gym as well as the pool.

Reply Posted by Austiniho on Saturday April 23 2011 at 19:39
Once again the old and young are hit. As the town goes up the obesity league, heart disease league, etc.... the council (not the government) respond by closing swimming pools and fencing in playing fields... Well done BMBC! You must be so proud of yourselves. The people of Wombwell don't expect a Metrodome (which was also a design failure anyway), they just want a usable leisure and sports facility. Is this too much to ask?

Reply Posted by Sucker punch. on Saturday April 23 2011 at 19:54
It's also nice to see where the BPL (BMBC) money IS being invested though.... "BPL INVESTS IN SWIM FACILITIES AT BIRCOTES LEISURE CENTRE". So the company that was set up to deal with Barnsley's leisure industry, is now funding other areas of the country over the town? This is shown on the BPL website if anyone is vaguely interested in where their money has gone.

Reply Posted by Sarah thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 10:35
We love our local pool at Wombwell, we dont care how old it is that is not updated , Thats part of its charm, My son age six has lessons there and has swum for charity there, its friendly and full of community not like the other mechanical and uninviting welcomes at other pools, It was a life line to me when I was recovering from cancer and it has helped me maintain fitmess, we walk to the pool now with the threat of closure we have no option but to higher the emissions and drive to Hoyland, our environment will become tainted, you are slowly chipping away at Wombwell, its a beauitul old town thats vanishing, my whole family are upset by this especially my heart broken son, he loves the yearly swimming event at the pool such a fantastic day and the community spirt is high. What are you going to do with the beautiful old building, let it stand and get broken into push up crime rates? its so unfair and you would be making such a huge mistake.

Reply Posted by Saz thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 10:39
We love our local pool at Wombwell, we don't care how old, (well we do we love how old it is that is part of its charm) we love that it is not updated, it works well and its fine, why, what a crying shame, My son age six has lessons there and has swum for charity there, its friendly and full of community not like the other mechanical and uninviting welcomes at other pools, It was a life line to me when I was recovering from cancer and it has helped me maintain fitmess, we walk to the pool now with the threat of closure we have no option but to higher the emissions and drive to Hoyland, our environment will become tainted, you are slowly chipping away at Wombwell, its a beauitul old town thats vanishing, my whole family are upset by this especially my heart broken son, he loves the yearly swimming event at the pool such a fantastic day and the community spirt is high. What are you going to do with the beautiful old building, let it stand and get broken into push up crime rates? its so unfair and you would be making such a huge mistake.

Reply Posted by Saz thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 10:45
it is being used and is certainly full when I go, my son has lessons there, and if it stayed open so would my Daughter, the schools use it to, the walk from park street, now will be forced to get a coach to another pool, I use the pool to without my children and it helped me on my road to recovery after cancer, I still go to keep up my fitness, I see older and younger members of the community there! its a great pool and full of character.

Reply Posted by Saz thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 11:06
its used by lots and its a fab pool, it may be old but we love it and generations use it I for one do use it and especially in my road to recovery after cancer, its helped me maintain fitness, my son age 6 and daughter age 3 love it too, along with nephew sister husband, mother inlaw etc, the list goes on.....

Reply Posted by Saz thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 11:14
I go and regularly troo, after having cancer even more so, I feel fitter and its a great pool, my son has lessons there, paid for! and my daughter would go too, she is only three but does go in every other week my son every week and myself twice a week, along with my sister nephew, husband, mother in law and several other family members! we walk to the pool so its very handy and it really doesnt matter that the changing rooms are not modern, that is part of its character, we go to swim not pick fault with its old querkiness, we dont even mind the resident ants! we love the place keep it open!!!

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 14:49
get your facts right... bpl is not bmbc. wombell athersly and peniston closure id only way forward for council. just look on news, same thing is happening everywhere...

with regards bircotes, it is just run by bpl not owned. just like the metrodome, hoyland wombwell and any other bpl sites

Reply Posted by Julie on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 15:08
Well said

Reply Posted by Turtonstavern on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 18:09
My sentiments entirely , but did you know that the building is 98 yrs old, and in 2 yrs it would become a listed building, Today it could be demolished and the land sold off with a big profit ,come on Barnsley Council could this be the reason for the closure? shall we just wait and see or keep up the protest LEAVE WOMBWELL POOL OPEN!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Turtonstavern on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 18:12
Do you use wombwell pool "netbug"

Reply Posted by Saz thurston on Wednesday May 4 2011 at 18:22
Yes I knew that and thats why its so special! I actually do Architectural drawings, and have seen so many beautiful buildings destroyed, its wrong when flimsy shoeboxes are being erected that need updating all the time and these good solid buildings are at risk! like you my vote is to keep it open!!!

Reply Posted by Him on Sunday May 8 2011 at 22:14
So how much did bpl pay for wombwell, metrodome, etc? Just wondered because the tax payers bought them.....

Reply Posted by Himagain on Sunday May 8 2011 at 22:17
well said? What was? wonder who you work for!!!!?

Reply Posted by Closed on Sunday May 8 2011 at 22:20
It closes on 31st of May...nnDespite the sign that says we will open after the bank holiday as usual... well they will but only for a day. somebody's pockets are getting lined, and it aint the taxpayers...

Reply Posted by Forward on Sunday May 8 2011 at 22:22
Do you actually know what forward means? It's the opposite to what your thinking is.

Reply Posted by Turtonstavern on Monday May 9 2011 at 09:29
If there is a flicker of hope for Wombwell Pool and anything we can do to help please! please!please! let us know, we need our local pool.n

Reply Posted by Kev Mitchell on Monday May 9 2011 at 09:29
People like Ken Rose, Abby Spooner to name a few would be turning in their graves, Wombwell Baths has been a life line for some, I can remember when we had Stands there, I used to be there every night nThe last hour always was 4 corner tigs and Abby Spooner god bless her would be blowing her whisltle saying Any more and you are out, we would wait for her to turn her back and off we went a gain HAPPY DAYS don't let them close Wombwell baths it's an Institution.

Reply Posted by Big-Mart on Monday May 9 2011 at 13:27
As sad as it may seam to say, but I think the minds have been made up and the pool will be closed, kncoked down and turned in to somthing we don't need.nnHowever the time si go in for a swimm etc, its been very busy. and also the cost is more than the rotherham pool at same distance from my house. but i still go to wombwell , it's more friendly and i think a nicer atmosphere.nnWhy not close down the schools and librys whule your at it, we could allways go to wath for them aswell?????????????nn n

Reply Posted by Albert on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 19:00
I think it's been decided