News » WAB Debate

Will Barnsley Celebrate The Royal Wedding?

Tuesday March 22 2011

We revealed on our Facebook page yesterday that pubs and clubs in Barnsley are going to be allowed to stay open until 1am to allow revellers to celebrate the Royal Wedding. But what do you think? Do people care anymore? Are the good old days of street parties and bunting long past? What will you do to celebrate it?

** NEWS JUST IN*** We've just heard that the following streets will be closed on April 29 to allow for Royal Wedding Street Parties:

Burnside, Thurnscoe S63 0PR (closed from 10am to 9pm)

Swift Street/Guest Road, Barnsley S75 2SN (closed between numbers 12 to 34; Guest Road will be closed from number 11 to end. The roads will be closed from 11am to 8pm)

Church Lane, Cawthorne S75 4DW (from noon to 6pm)

Reply Posted by Dedatodd on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 08:30
I will not be celebrating / supporting / watching the Royal wedding, in a term that we are asked to 'tighten' belts and accept cuts across the board, the Tax payer is to foot the bill for this? The Royals have enough money so pay for it out of your own coffers.... I shall be accepting the bank holiday though but will do something worthwhile like picking up litter in the Dearne Valley area.

Reply Posted by sharon hill on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 08:40
i wont be celebrating royal wedding y should we have to celebrate it they wont celebrate mine if i got married

Reply Posted by WAB - Nicky on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 09:45
There's been some suggestions that a few street parties might encourage community spirit - what do you reckon?

Reply Posted by WAB - Nicky on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 10:05
Danni 'Prawn' Wood on our FB page says My nans street is having a street party, they always celebrate royal occassions! She was showing me black and white pics from 60s of a street party they had celebrating jubilee or somet! Ha

Reply Posted by WAB - Nicky on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 10:06
Kerry-ann Wetton on our FB page says: I remember the silver jubilee it was a fantastic day but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same community spirit anymore

Reply Posted by WAB - Nicky on Tuesday March 22 2011 at 10:06
Clare Taylor on our FB page says: i agree with kerry,its not the same as it used to be,we we had one in new lodge for the silver jubilee,i was only 4,cant remember it but we had our photo in chronicle.not inerested in this wedding,fed up hearing about it.if im not working i will probably go somewhere thats not celebrating it

Reply Posted by Sarahannfirth on Friday April 8 2011 at 06:53
its my daughters birthday the same day. so i will be celebrating her birthday,

Reply Posted by gems on Friday April 8 2011 at 09:16
We are having a Royal Wedding house party, everyone is dressing up and the house will be full of bunting, balloons and flags!

Reply Posted by Marlene Kilburn on Friday April 8 2011 at 15:25
A lot of people are not patriotic so will not be celebrating the Royal Wedding...A lot of people do not believe in God or Jesus ....but are willing to get into debt to celebrate Christmas...I on the other hand will be watching the Wedding on TV....and toasting our future King and Queen on their marriage...

Reply Posted by Betsy35 on Friday April 8 2011 at 17:04
i agree wholeheartedly.

Reply Posted by Anorack on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 16:59
I agree. I have never been a royalist or patriotic towards them. I won't start a debate on that, but I will be making use of the day by moving house!

Reply Posted by Roguetrooper5 on Wednesday April 13 2011 at 17:06
Not really a follower of whats happening to the Royal Family but ,I remember in 77 ,the Jubilee ,a businessman on Queensway where I lived set the street up with bunting and tables with food and the whole street turned out ,there was a lovely community feel about it all and everyone had a great day .
Community spirit, people being together,patriotism and pride in our country.
Not really about the Royal wedding is it ,it's about relighting something thats becoming a thing of the past country wide ,something that we did all the time in the days of Coal and Steel when communities and people joined in .

Reply Posted by annoyed!!!!! on Thursday April 14 2011 at 07:04
I don't think many people are bothered now as in years gone by all some people will see it as is another bank hol to go out and get drunk.Its absoulutely ridicolous the world as gone mad bring back the street parties and community spirit i say!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Krissie3243 on Tuesday April 19 2011 at 06:08
Im a romantic so I say bring it on!!!

Reply Posted by Turtonstavern on Tuesday April 19 2011 at 06:20
We are not bothered about pubs staying open we aretoo old for that we are having a "Royal" Garden Party on that day for family, friends, and neighbours,with Royal fancy dress and plenty of merriment and celebrating the old fashioned way

Reply Posted by hrh princess Lisa on Tuesday April 19 2011 at 08:00
Me and my children will be watching it we're going to have a picnic in the garden at the end of the day William and Kate will be our children's future king and queen.

Reply Posted by Nicky on Wednesday April 20 2011 at 09:55
I'd love it if you guys who are celebrating could upload me some pics! Be nice to see what you all got up to!