Trade For A Tenner Scheme Launched At Market

Monday June 11 2012

Outdoor Market Outdoor Market

A TRADE for a tenner scheme has been launched by the council to try to encourage more locals to become market traders.

It will run for two weeks in June and July and entrepreneurs who make, bake or create are being offered prime town centre spots to trade on - for a special price of £10.

They will be offered help from the experienced market traders in the hope that they will decide to stay on the market as a long term trader.

Council spokesman Coun Linda Burgess said: “Marks and Spencer began as a market stall in Leeds all those years ago, so if you’ve got something to sell, why not follow in their successful footsteps with your own local-cost business start-up idea?”

First-time market traders will be able to apply to trade on Wednesday and Saturday 27 and 30 June and 4 and 7 July in the town centre.

Mary Portas, the BBC’s Queen of Shops and author of the influential Portas Review published last December, singled out Barnsley as the most exciting market she had seen.

Speaking on BBC Radio’s Today programme she said: “Everyone thinks when I say markets I’m thinking, ‘Lets all sit down and have a nice organic lunch,’ but the most exciting market I saw was Barnsley where it’s £10 a table and you get it all out there.”

For further details phone (01226) 772238 or email marketservices@barnsley.gov.uk.

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday June 13 2012 at 16:36
This is a good thing for Barnsley, we should be proud of our market, it is great!  I'm originally from Sheffield, and know lots of Sheffielders who come for our market in Barnsley because it is better!

However, £10 is a lot of money, a man must make £10 profit to cover the rent of the stall, on top of that he needs to earn a further £70 to cover his rent, and a further £70 to cover his dole, and £15 to cover his council tax (he might even have a partner and a child to feed).  He of course also needs to make a bit extra to cover a few other business overheads, and needs money to invest in the first place, into stock/production of stock.  To transport goods to the market you need transport, have you seen the price of car insurance for young people?  £100+ a week!  And then there is petrol!

Now then.  I've just come off of the dole and started trading.  I got a pedlars certificate, it is £12.25 for the year, far cheaper than £10 a day rent for a stall!  A stall is something to progress to, if you make enough sales, after all the burden of rent must met.
So I sold some tomato plants I grew in my window.  I could only grow a few, but I did it for less than the supermarkets.  I could grow allsorts for sale if I had some land, and looking across Barnsley there is a lot of idle land.  But I can't get an allotment, and besides, it is illegal to sell allotment produce for profit.

So, to conclude.  I could be growing lots of food for sale, cheaper than the supermarket, sell it in the market, and pay me taxes.  But I can't, and land sits idle.

It's not necessarily the cost of a stall that is the problem, (although they are quite expensive).  It is the cost of everything else, and the barriers to producing real wealth to sell on in the first place.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday June 13 2012 at 18:49
£10 a day is NOT expensive!! Your argument is what every small business comes across. Try renting an industrial unit or high street shop then you'll know what overheads are.

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Wednesday June 13 2012 at 20:50
i fear too little too late, maybe when the market wasn't a run down dirty hovel (outside) we would still have a profitable booming market. 20 years its taken the council to plan a new market and I still  haven't seen a shovel put in the ground.

Reply Posted by Tom on Wednesday June 13 2012 at 23:26
If £10 a day is not expensive, and you can already rent stalls there for as little as £5.20 a day, then why do we have empty stalls?

Wrt to High St shops, I walk past empty High St. shops everyday.  About 10 of them in under a 5 minute walk.  Clearly the rent for them is too high too!
Industrial units again, many are empty.  People can't afford to rent them and conduct business.You don't start a business by taking on liabilities like rent.  You need to gain assets and use your assets to turn a profit.Rents remain high, shops remain empty, factories too, and men who could work and be productive are on the dole.

Reply Posted by Trish on Thursday June 14 2012 at 19:11
 Very, very true!!! Its rent that is too high but also utilities too! How can we suvive in business with lage overheads.

Reply Posted by Trish on Thursday June 14 2012 at 19:18
 Well said Tom! I agree! There isnt any profit made. All small businesses do is pay bills. If Thomas Cook is feeling the pinch, then it doesn't leave much for us does it?

Reply Posted by Purged It on Thursday June 14 2012 at 19:31
Many people that want to give it a go, in starting a retail business, don't even know where to buy stock from to start trading. Those that do know how to deal with wholesalers, distributors etc... tend to just sell on ebay.

Reply Posted by Justin on Friday June 15 2012 at 22:23
Many wholesalers will only sell to trade - in which you must show letterheads & utility bills from the business address...... how can you show these if you are a new business just starting up without any stock.

I have seen about 20 websites that all require this information before you can even attempt to register an account with them, then a sales advisor will look at your aplication and see if you are credit worthy enough to have an account with them (even if you are paying cash upfront for your goods)