News » WAB Guides

WAB Backs Soldier Shoebox Campaign

Monday May 28 2012

A CAMPAIGN which sends treat-filled shoe-boxes to Barnsley soldiers in Afghanistan is gathering pace.

Local lass Emma Burnett, 19, of Hardwick Crescent, Athersley South, has launched the Operation Shoe Box campaign after she started sending sweets and treats to her fiance James Napier, 22, who is serving with the Yorkshire Regiment in Afghanistan.

She widened the appeal when she found out other soldiers - forced to sleep in cramped conditions with little to look forward to - didn't have family to send them treats.

She said: "My partner gets about packages a week from me and his family but not everybody has that. There are no shops where they are so they can't get little things you get at home like crisps or a bottle of pop.

"The boxes can contain sweets, crisps, playing cards, magazines, anything for their down time."

Emma's dad Dave said they have had an amazing response to the shoe box appeal but - despite a flurry of interest - it was sometimes difficult to negotiate collections.

He said: "We've been doing this ourselves and it's up to me really to drive around to pick stuff up. It would be great if shops would volunteer to be drop off points and then I'd be able to do a regular route to pick them up."

The shoe box campaign will run until at least 2014 and the donations made don't have to be full shoe-boxes, they can be just little donations that Emma can build up herself.

82 boxes have been donated by WABers so far and have already been shipped to Arghanistan.

We Are Barnsley has rounded up some local business to be drop off points for locals. These are:

Angler's Rest Pub, Wombwell
New You Hair Salon, Thomas Whitworth Forum, Town Centre
Daisy Chain Floral, Greenfoot Lane
Allendale Cafe, Worsbrough

SHOEBOX GOODIES - THE WAB GUIDE

Confused about what to put in the box? Check out our handy guide below.

The box must weigh less than 2kg - but you can just donate individual items to be made up into a box.

The soldiers like things like wet wipes, sweets, razors and deodorants

They appreciate letters which remind them of home

Do not seal the finished boxes as they have to go through security checks - it's best to seal them with elastic bands

Mark on the box whether it is for a male or a female soldier

Good items to include are
Socks
Travel Board Games
Playing Cards,
Puzzle books
Notebooks & Pens
Magazines, small paperbacks,
Batteries
Boot Laces
Blank Greetings cards
Combs, Hair scrunchies
Emery boards, Small hand/body lotion
Toothbrushes & Toothpaste
Lip salve
Small tins of vaseline
Disposable Razors, Shaving cream (non aerosol)
Roll on deodorants
Small baby powder
Foot powder
Shampoo & Conditioner
Shower Gels
Imodium
Rennies
Paracetamol
Plasters
Insect Repellent - no aerosols
Sunscreen - no aerosols

Individual pots of marmalade, jam, chutney, honey
Small tubes of mustard, condensed milk, evaporated milk
Small tins of ravioli, macaroni cheese, tuna.
Small tins of fruit in juice
Pot Noodles, Supernoodles, Savoury Rice Curry Powder, Oxo Cubes, Marmite sachets Cup-a-soups
Tea Bags (all types incl. fruit teas), Coffee Sachets
Horlicks, Ovaltine and Hot Chocolate drink sachets
All Biscuits - REMEMBER NO CHOCOLATE Jammie Dodgers, Fig Rolls, Shortbread, Cereal Bars, Small Cakes, Sachets of custard, Variety packs of Cereals
All varieties of Pringles (large and small packs)
Crisps, Peanuts, Pork Scratchings, Beef Jerky, Cheddar biscuits, oatcakes
Small bags/boxes of Dried Fruit, Fruit flakes, Sweets - Travel sweets, toffee, fudge, energy sweets, lollipops, love hearts, fruit pastilles, Mints, Chewing Gum

Here's an example of the soldier's living conditions - so anything to help would be appreciated

* Photo courtesy of Barnsley Chronicle *

Reply Posted by Zoenezza on Friday May 11 2012 at 20:44
Let me know when you get some drop off points n well donate a shoe box it's great to hear someone supporting our men really made me smile this

Reply Posted by Carmen on Friday May 11 2012 at 21:03
I'll be a drop off point for you I have the Chiropodist in Darfiled

Reply Posted by Carmen on Friday May 11 2012 at 21:03
I'll be a drop off point for you I have the Chiropodist in Darfiled

Reply Posted by Tracey_b_artist on Friday May 11 2012 at 23:11
I am in Ardsley - Can I drop off to you the chiropodist ? Are you the one on snape hill road? x

Reply Posted by Dave Shaw on Saturday May 12 2012 at 08:03
thanks carmen that would be a good drop off point as i go to darfield once a week .

Reply Posted by Dave Shaw on Saturday May 12 2012 at 08:05
korner kabin at cundy cross can allso be used as a drop off point thanks

Reply Posted by Victoria on Saturday May 12 2012 at 15:10
Daisy chain floral design on Greenfoot lane can be used as a drop off point.

Reply Posted by Jarule5573 on Saturday May 12 2012 at 16:15
female soldier from barnsley i know is going out in november, it would be great to send her something, well done guysguys

Reply Posted by Fortissimo School of Music on Saturday May 12 2012 at 17:13
 I am the owner of Fortissimo School of Music in Staincross. I have sent an e-mail to all of our students/parents/guardians etc. about this cause and asked them to donate as much as possible. I have asked them to bring items to their lessons and I will deliver them to where required/a drop-off point.

www.fortissimoschoolofmusic.co.uk
E-mail: fortissimo@gmx.co.uk
Tel: (01226) 889 857

Reply Posted by Karen Greenwood on Sunday May 13 2012 at 14:29
im not a shop but ya can use my adress in shafton if you need to im always in  my adress is 40 pontfract rd shafton S72 8QP

Reply Posted by Dave Shaw on Sunday May 13 2012 at 15:11
thanks for the offers is there any chance i could have e-mail address for , victoria and carmen then myself or emma can e-mail you direct . karen greenwood thanks for the offer to be a drop off point . zoenezza if you can contact myself or emma napier burnett as you maybe local to us and we would just collect or we could let you no if we have a drop off point set up near to you thanks

Reply Posted by Simone_j25 on Sunday May 13 2012 at 19:51
You are welcome to use us as a drop off point in Wombwell.

Reply Posted by Ann L Johnson on Sunday May 13 2012 at 23:05
What a fantastic idea! Well done.

Reply Posted by Victoria on Monday May 14 2012 at 09:03
Hi, Daisy chain email address is sales@daisychainfloraldesigns.co.uk and telephone number is 01226 805433.

Reply Posted by Victoria on Monday May 14 2012 at 09:06
Sorry forgot to put hyphen in daisy chain email address, it's sales@daisychain-floraldesigns.co.uk

Reply Posted by bob on Sunday May 20 2012 at 15:27
Is there anything you are expressly not allowed to send other than aerosols/illegal products etc.

I'm not talking about shady things, just like cigarettes, etc

Reply Posted by Samanthahelsby on Sunday May 20 2012 at 15:31
Darfield army cadets would love to help as a drop of point we are open every tuesday and Thursday nights 6 till 9.

Reply Posted by Julie on Sunday May 20 2012 at 16:56
I can store stuff and don't mind collecting from Town Area email me juliedudas@yahoo.com . I have a box waiting - Can also collect empty shoe boxes from Wynsors if they have any.. Its nice to help our guys and girls - I have rellies in the Army too

Reply Posted by Woods Brian on Sunday June 10 2012 at 20:49
i live in monkbretton barnsley i can b a drop off point if u like

Reply Posted by Simone_j25 on Tuesday June 12 2012 at 07:44
We have some stuff for you to collect and time after 5pm at The Anglers Rest, Wombwell.