News » Traffic and Travel

Barnsley Roadworks - The WAB Guide

Monday December 8 2014

We Are Barnsley get many reports of upcoming roadworks in the borough.

We thought it would be easier to collate them all into one easy to find place which will be regularly updated.

This list will feature everything that affects your travel plans, from roadworks to closures and diversions.

STUART STREET, THURNSCOE
Temporary road closure from January 5-9.

THE WALK, BIRDWELL
Temporary two-way traffic lights from January 6-9.

CARLTON ROAD, ATHERSLEY SOUTH
Temporary one-way road closure to enable works to electrical services from January 5 to February 2.

NEWSTEAD ROAD, ATHERSLEY SOUTH
Temporary four-way traffic lights from January 5-30.

ENGINE LANE, SHAFTON
Temporary road closure on three consecutive weekends from January 10-26.

WHINBY ROAD, DODWORTH
Temporary road closure from January 11 until February 8.

LIDGET LANE, THURNSCOE
Temporary two-way traffic lights from January 12-14.

HIGHAM COMMON ROAD, HIGHAM
Temporary two-way traffic lights from January 12-23.

OLLERTON ROAD, ATHERSLEY NORTH
Temporary three-way traffic lights from January 19 to February 13.

SUMMER LANE, ROYSTON
Temporary two-way traffic lights until January 21.

CORONATION STREET, THURNSCOE
Temporary closure of the access road linking Stuart Street to enable to construction of buildings until January 30, 2015.

HAWSHAW LANE, HOYLAND
Temporary two-way traffic lights until January 31.

MOUNT CRESCENT, HOYLAND
Temporary road closure until February 8.

REGENT STREET SOUTH, BARNSLEY
Temporary road closure to enable highway reconstruction works until February 20.

ROCKLEY LANE, WORSBROUGH
Temporary 40mph speed restriction until March 23.

CUDWORTH PARKWAY, CUDWORTH
Temporary 40mph speed restriction to enable bridge repairs until March 23.

WEST GREEN WAY, MONK BRETTON
Temporary 40mph speed restriction in place until March 27.

GRENO VIEW, HOYLAND COMMON
Temporary road closure until March 31 to enable the installation of a highway drain.

PARK SPRING ROAD, GRIMETHORPE
Temporary 40mph speed limit until March 31.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:11
Had a driving lesson and about 3 or 4 different road works on Manchester road - dodworth did ok but nearly bumped some one because they slammed there breaks on too busy looking at the work men the numpty

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Sunday February 2 2014 at 17:47
Lauren - If you are driving you sould be alert and always sould be able to stop if the car infront slams on.. if you run into the back of the car it is your fault as you sould give enough room in front of your car so if you need to stop suddenly you can. maybe a child animal may run out..BEWARE

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 21:50
If a car brakes and the car behind hits it, who's the numpty?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 17:10
Seems to be loads of road digging up down our end, the contractors have been THREE times and dug the same place up just round the corner from us the numpties.

So the roadworks season is now upon us, BMBC have to spend "our" surplus money before April you know or they will lose their funding....

Reply Posted by katie on Sunday January 19 2014 at 09:24
So storrs mill lane showing 2 way traffic lights why they have signs up to say the roads closed!

Reply Posted by Duncan on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:22
Theres temporary traffic lights on the a61 near worsbrough post office/asda

Reply Posted by Adam on Sunday January 26 2014 at 03:57
I'd avoid Birdwell during rush hour soon as they are soon to the start.
Replacing the central reservation barriers on M1 J38 - J35a. (Like those at J31 - J28)
Plus A616 will be closed between Tankersley and M1J35a.

Looks like I find a different route to and from work.

Reply Posted by keith on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:30
Anyone know about proposed road works on Shaw street on friday

Reply Posted by Jim on Sunday February 2 2014 at 11:36
Is cudworth bridge coming down?

Reply Posted by kim on Sunday February 2 2014 at 12:30
I don't know Jim. I am passing tomorrow in my high vehicle and if I catch it then I suppose I will knock it down,,hahahahah

Reply Posted by fed up on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 16:10
roadworks on Kingsway Mapplewell,cars still trying to beat lights, nightmare parking even trying to get into your own driveway.

Reply Posted by Doris on Thursday February 6 2014 at 20:48
Let's hope they let us on and off our streets this Sunday! Closing a road and leaving no access is just ridiculous !

Reply Posted by Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 09:11
Typical, last minute spending prior to the new Tax Year, same every Feb.- March

Reply Posted by rachel on Monday February 17 2014 at 21:05
it gets me wen a road is closed and no 1 is working on,why close it? top of regent street road works sat n sun but no one working on it?????

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday February 18 2014 at 00:17
Kilkenny@ what is your problem? You don't even know me and you've always got something to say about something I'm doing. It's was about my second lesson, Jesus Christ, I was alert, it was the idiot infront of me not paying attention, I had to slam on brakes so I didn't bump him/her I had enough space not I'm not flamming idiot. Even my driving instructor said I did well to react as quick as I did, because if I wasn't paying attention or on alert then I would have bumped him/her hence me saying I nearly bumped a numpty who wasn't paying attention.

Reply Posted by Jim on Tuesday March 4 2014 at 11:23
Sign on stores mill lane in cud worth says it's going to be closed for a week from tomorrow

Reply Posted by Del on Friday March 7 2014 at 09:11
Road closed sign up at Ben Bank Road/Cone lane in the direction of Thurgoland/Oxpring/Penistone. Any idea why or when it will reopen?

Reply Posted by Lauren's numpty on Monday March 17 2014 at 21:00
There I was driving a long slowed down because I didn't want to run an orange light when in my mirrow I saw this car breaking heavy nearly hitting my rear end being an experienced driver and seeing the other driver was a learner driver I decided that I would not confront her besides she looked a bit strange with a snarl on her face if she had hit me her insurance would have doubled because as every safe driver knows there should be a safe breaking distance between cars for an emergency stop which she did may I say with gusto

Reply Posted by Lauren's numpty on Monday March 17 2014 at 21:03
Even mirror

Reply Posted by Nigel on Saturday March 29 2014 at 11:25
She obviously wasn't paying attention or she wouldn't have needed to slam her brakes on.

Reply Posted by John Asquith on Wednesday April 9 2014 at 05:52
Road blocked off by the police. From Cundy cross roundabout towards monk Breton this morning at 5.20am

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Wednesday April 9 2014 at 15:32
The traffic lights outside of Hoyland Ambulance station cause serious jams and delays on a morning, About time they hurried up and got rid of them

Reply Posted by Freda on Tuesday June 3 2014 at 10:33
When is something going to be done about the UNFAIR sequence of the traffic lights at Pogmoor Rd / Dodwprth Rd jct??? I understand Dodworth Rd has to flow because of the motorway, BUT 2 or 3 cars getting thro at any one time is ridiculouse!! And if there is an HGV gong thro u have no chance. We live in Pogmoor and use the road most days at various times and 3pm to 6pm is a no no!!! Back to the Jet garage EVERY WK DAY.

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 22:13
Same at Stairfoot silly roundabout - the Hunningley Lane exit is just as bad with tailbacks as far as the cemetery!! The island at the Aldi store prevents two lane traffic- no wonder motorists get so frustrated!! Where is the common sense!

Reply Posted by jenny on Wednesday June 18 2014 at 00:32
Athersley North have workmen relaying gas pipes near Ollerton Road makes the 11 bus route so much fun...not it's a pain in the ass

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 07:55
The lights have now gone outside Hoyland Ambulance station.

Reply Posted by flabbergasted on Friday July 11 2014 at 22:42
Check our guide to where roadworks are.
F#*@;N EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by claire on Saturday July 12 2014 at 14:18
@ackerman, you want to try living Wi em for 7 mths!!! Lol apparently all work should have been finished by yesterday, Friday, but what woke me up this morning? ??? Yep! Workmen!! Xx

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Tuesday July 15 2014 at 07:38
@ Claire.
I live on Guest street in Platts Commom, and i agree with you they have been a nightmare to live with. Our street become a rat run for people avoiding the lights now they gone our street is now back to normal thank goodness!!

Reply Posted by tankman on Monday July 21 2014 at 19:31
Buy a tank go where you want anytime you want

Reply Posted by Neil on Friday August 1 2014 at 18:23
Apparently Summer Lane will be closed tomorrow at the junction with town end roundabout. Add to that the closure of Shambles St heading towards theTown Hall,result is anyone trying to get across town to the hospital for instance will either have to go via Dodworth rd and on Gawber rd or past Morrisons and down Harbourgh hill Rd and back up Old mill lane.

Reply Posted by Rog on Thursday August 14 2014 at 20:57
Went from Cawthorne to Denby Dale last week....Not one sign to tell you the road was closed at the turn off to Gunthwaite....they have been working on this road for nearly a YEAR.

Reply Posted by ..... on Thursday August 14 2014 at 21:30
And abet ya all still exspect buses to be on time

Reply Posted by spike on Monday September 1 2014 at 12:37
SO MADDENING..traffic lights on engine lane over the weekend no holes.no workmen why have them working URRRGGGHHHH

Reply Posted by jordan on Saturday September 27 2014 at 14:10
I went through 3 sets of temporary lights going through dodworth towards stainborough yesterday, absolute joke!

Reply Posted by Tanya on Friday October 24 2014 at 20:07
Road works at Burton rd are they just for bridge or where on burton road ,It starts from wicks and ends at bridge so that info is a bit pointless un-less states where about ?

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday October 27 2014 at 19:27
Stop moaning Tanya you silly bint

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 08:23
@ the last two posts....how very, very sad and shameful!

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday November 3 2014 at 14:38
Calm down 4 foot and shrinking its not like anyone as been hurt during those comments

Reply Posted by bjt on Friday November 14 2014 at 16:28
I don't know why there has to be a temporary 40mph limit on Park Spring Road when all they're doing is a footpath, which they won't be doing at night when I travel on it. Why can't the idle sods take the signs down when they've finished for the day, or do a temporary speed limit for small sections at a time instead of for the whole length of the road. I believe they've doing it because they know it ****** motorists off