Barnsley Torch Bearers Prepare For Olympics

Tuesday May 15 2012

THE Barnsley residents that will carry the Olympic torch through the town when it comes in June have been named.

There will be 19 torchbearers that will run through the borough on June 25 - including Barnsley residents Dorothy Hyman, Dave Allemby, Hayley Youell and Ray Taylor.

The Olympic torch route has been changed slightly and it will no longer pass through County Way and Old Mill Lane.

The flame arrives at Pontefract Road, Lundwood at 1.25pm.

Torchbearers will carry the torch along the A628 to Cundy Cross roundabout at approximately 1.44pm.

The torch will then arrive at the Grove Street junction of Pontefract Road at 1.48pm and proceed to pass the Town Hall at 1.58pm, via Kendray Street, Eldon Street and Market Hill.

Torchbearers will then travel along Church Street, where they will stop at Barnsley College at 2pm.

The flame will start its journey again at 3pm, heading along Church Street onto the A635 Huddersfield Road, until it reaches the junction of Rowland Roadat 3.18pm.

Finally, at 3.21pm the Torchbearers will reach Barnsley Road (A637) and head towards Darton. At 3.31pm the Torchbearers will turn left onto Churchfield Lane and travel up Ballfield Lane, before leaving the borough at 3.46pm.

The council is working with schools and community groups to line the route and celebrate the arrival of the Flame in Barnsley, including street athletics in the town centre.

Reply Posted by Sally on Tuesday May 15 2012 at 12:24
hope is rains all day

Reply Posted by Loustar on Tuesday May 15 2012 at 12:55
Why would u want it to rain?
I think its lovely for town and hope my kids get to line the street on Huddersfield road like the
rest of Wilthorpe Inf and Juniors should too!!!

Reply Posted by Sally on Tuesday May 15 2012 at 13:45
 Same reason why as a taxpayer I do not wish to still be paying for the olympics in 50 years time

Reply Posted by Rio2772 on Tuesday May 15 2012 at 14:13
Some miserable people around.I am so looking forward to the making of History  but I wont be around in 50 years but my grandchildren will. Good luck to all people involved.Remember one thing " you get out of life what you have put in " and I dont want misery . Looking forward to every minute.....

Reply Posted by Abywater20 on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 08:11
what day is this i would love to take my granchildren it is a rare occasion and something we should incourage in our children to be proud of who they are its not the winning but the taking part of something that will live in history.. as to the cost we will be paying whether we attend or not life is like that so swollow it and make the best of the  life gives you...

Reply Posted by Jill Ibbitson on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 08:21
Sally, whether it rains or not the tax payer will still be paying for it in 50 years time so you may as well make the most of it. Health permitting I will be in town to watch it.

Reply Posted by guest on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 08:25
@ Sally. Fair enough if you want to be miserable and moan but you shouldn't wish bad luck on events that other people want to enjoy -  very selfish. I am not a follower of the Olympics either but I do think that if others want to take part then it should be encouraged .. at least they have something to look forward to. You'd be better putting your energy into something positive !

Reply Posted by Leann Markham on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 08:44
i'd rather pay for the oltmpics than the low lifes that cant' be bothered to get a job and all the people coming into the country

Reply Posted by Leann Markham on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 08:45
it's a monday

Reply Posted by Peterpstott on Wednesday May 16 2012 at 20:00
Moaners will always be with us, as for me al be theer at darton waiting for them to pass, and I'll have my Camera with me, so a can share it with my Grand Kiddies, so they can have a little taste of summat thats not gonna happen again for a long time if ever, and certainly not in my lifetime :)

Reply Posted by Kev_pointon on Sunday May 20 2012 at 09:36
if it wasnt for the olympics some people at barugh green would ave been laid off. as bespoke concrete made steps for the athletes accomadation and KMS_Mallinson transport delivered it to site.

Reply Posted by jim on Sunday May 20 2012 at 09:38
The Olympic nonsense is costing UK taxpayers at lest £11 billion  - this at a time when the government is dismantling the welfare state, destroying the NHS and working only to increase wealth for the rich.
meanwhile on WAB yet another person seizes the opportunity to talk about immigration! you couldn't make it up.
ill be there protesting on the route, i hope lots of other people will too.

Reply Posted by Lenard1985 on Sunday May 20 2012 at 10:54
look at the home off the olympics greece cost close to € 10 billion pluss intrest not one stadium still in use all run down same as china how is this a good thing

Reply Posted by Suesue on Sunday May 20 2012 at 12:49
Bet you are a regular bundle of joy to
live with.

Reply Posted by Suesue on Sunday May 20 2012 at 12:52
We should be supporting this event. The money has been spent already. Get behind your country. I am backing Britain. We do not need any more negitive im gonma rain on your parade, cause someone,took my ball away,wasters

Reply Posted by Deviless on Sunday May 20 2012 at 14:34
neither does rest of barnsley, but what's done is done so get over it!

Reply Posted by Junederry on Wednesday June 20 2012 at 09:36
I think it,s really good and something for people to look forward to.  It's a good job our Grandfathers didn't have a bad attitude about fighting for our future we would all be speaking German now. Get with or stay at home. Miserable sods!

Reply Posted by Cordellia on Wednesday June 20 2012 at 09:44
Miserable person do you pay tax? If you don't then mind your own! People like you should find something worth while to do!

Reply Posted by Dave Allemby on Monday March 18 2013 at 07:35
If anyone wants to see the Olympic Torch which I carried through Lundwood , it will be on show in the new Experience Barnsley Museum in the Town Hall from the opening day in June 2013