News » WAB Debate

Should women breastfeed in public?

Wednesday May 20 2015

Businesses are being asked to join the Barnsley Breastfeeding ‘Welcome Here’ scheme.

Its aim is to promote the places that provide a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding families through an online directory.

Do you think women should be encouraged to breastfeed in public? What more could to make them more comfortable?

Have your say in the box below.

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Thursday May 21 2015 at 10:11
I personally have no issue whatsoever with breastfeeding in public - providing it`s done with an element of dignity and privacy so as not to `offend` people.
It`s not a sideshow for voyeurs, if it`s done in the right environment there`s nothing wrong with it.

Reply Posted by Hooray for boobies on Thursday May 21 2015 at 12:05
Me, here, now stop being a voyeur then if it 'offends'
What is the right environment?
Mums have the right to feed however they want where ever they want. If you dont like it or feel YOU maybe offended then dont look it really is that simple. If I am feeding my baby i am only doing just that. It is the person who is offended that is making it something offensive in their own heads.
Lets make feeding your baby the norm ;) regardless of whether it be by bottle or breast.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday May 21 2015 at 12:38
The most natural thing in the world and it should be encouraged rather than frowned upon.

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday May 21 2015 at 13:46
Women should breastfeed wherever they want to breastfeed. Children need to be fed, it is a simple fact of life, be it by breast or by bottle.

Reply Posted by carly on Thursday May 21 2015 at 14:54
I personally think all women should be encouraged to breast feed there babies in public. I myself are breast feeding at the moment but i don,t flaunt it in peoples faces, I am a little shy and try to do it discretely out of the way, I have a cover over me so nothing can be seen but i would never starve my baby if she was hungary while out in public, I just make sure i take my cover everywhere with me but its the best thing you can do for your baby so it is well worth it.

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Thursday May 21 2015 at 18:25
If everyone had your decorum and consideration Carly, I doubt anyone would have an issue with breastfeeding in public places. I for one, do not see a problem at all.
What does irritate me (and many others, I would think), are the incessant "campaigners" who move from one issue to the next, voicing their OWN opinions on other peoples issues. They hear of a breastfeeding mother who is asked to cover up...they campaign; A gay couple are refused a hotel room...they campaign; A construction company needs to cut down a tree...they campaign.
Everyone's lives would flow along much easier, if these people (who clearly must have very little of interest going on in their OWN lives), would stop drawing unwanted and unneeded attention to everyone else's business.
If only this sad, nosey section of society would BUTT OUT, no-one would actually notice.

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Friday May 22 2015 at 10:56
Hooray for boobies. If you read my message properly I am all for mothers feeding naturally in public, the only thing that `offends` me is your misguided thought that I am some kind of voyeur and your knee-jerk reaction to my comments.
I`m trying to fight your corner here !!!

Reply Posted by shelly on Monday May 25 2015 at 23:44
i have 4 children brest fed them all cant see why people make such a big fuss about it theres things in breast milk thats not in baby milk and what did mothers do before you could bottle feed they had to breast feed was it a problem then no so why is it now. we sit and watch animals brest feed there pups or kittens is that a problem no so why is brest feeding a child a problem

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Wednesday June 3 2015 at 19:52
Golly gosh shelly, I hope you're not still BREAST feeding your children, judging by the amount of liquor and other substances you must consume to enable you to rant on like that!

Reply Posted by itsme on Sunday June 21 2015 at 21:23
Its not difficult to express milk into a bottle and it has the same nutritional value if breastfeeding is what women want to do. All it takes is a bit of pre-planning. Breast feeding discreetly in public is acceptable, but not in cafes and restaurants thankyou very much. Its not necessary.

Reply Posted by Annie on Saturday September 5 2015 at 17:29
Itsme.....it's 'not necessary' for a mum who is breast feeding a baby to: buy a breast pump, buy bottles, buy sterilising equipment, help a breastfed baby to learn how to suck from a rubber teat just so that prissy people don't get a glimpse of a baby being breastfed outside the home. All it takes is for people to get on with their lives and not be obsessed with looking at other people, or just stay at home.

Reply Posted by Hearther on Saturday September 26 2015 at 15:06
How old is your baby? YOu say she's a new' baby, so I'll assume that she's less than 2 mohnts old.At that age you need to expect her to be nursing (or you pumping) at least once, and probably 2-3 times at night. So going longer than 4-5 hours without nursing or pumping is likely to cause supply issues. And if she's younger than about 6 weeks, she really shouldn't be getting any bottles. They can cause nipple confusion and the time YOU are spending on the pump so you can sleep an extra hour at night can be better spend resting during the day. (Looking at your earlier questions it looks like you might be exclusively pumping? If this is the case, it's even more important that you pump through the night the pump is far less effective than the baby in stimluating supply, so frequent pumping around the clock is necessary both to pump enough milk for baby AND to keep your supply going.) Was this answer helpful?