Performing Arts Academy Moves To Town

Thursday April 26 2012

Civic Civic

A PRESTIGIOUS performing arts academy has confirmed that it will be coming to Barnsley in September.

The Carney Academy of Performing Arts is setting up a Barnsley base at The Civic and will be offering a performing arts school for anyone over eight.

CAPA is run by professional theatre director Ruth Carney, and counts Russell Tovey (The History Boys, Gavin & Stacey , Being Human) Ian Reddington (Coronation Street, Eastenders, RSC) and Lena Kaur (Hollyoaks) as its patrons.

There will be some free taster sessions which will involve a short drama session - these will be on April 28 and June 23.

To take part call 327 000

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Monday March 26 2012 at 16:09
Absolutely amazing news. Wish this had been around when I was younger.
This will offer some fantastic opportunities x

Reply Posted by Keri A on Friday April 27 2012 at 14:16
i agree jess :) wud have been awesome! gonna pass the info on to some of my theatre group to go for taster session x

Reply Posted by Ruth Carney on Friday April 27 2012 at 14:48
Its Ruth Carney here and thanks for the comments we do have classes for over 18's too, so pass on the word and thanks again

Reply Posted by Tracy_craig on Friday April 27 2012 at 15:43
What time do the sessions run?

Reply Posted by The Spirit on Friday April 27 2012 at 23:43
CAPA is excellent.

I go to one of the Sheffield over 18 groups and it was one of my first experiences of acting when the academy began in 2010. I have learnt so much and CAPA has helped me so much on stage.

If you're thinking of joining I would seriously consider CAPA.

Good luck to everyone starting at he new Barnsley Academy! We should have some inter-academy performances!

Reply Posted by Kevin on Friday April 27 2012 at 23:45
Oh I don't like that it's pickEd up my nickname in the name field!

Well, good luck again to everyone this weekend.