Troubled School Remains In Special Measures

Thursday November 20 2014

Carlton Community College Carlton Community College

A TROUBLED Barnsley school will remain in special measures after a recent damning report by Ofsted.

Inspectors at Carlton Community College found a catalogue of problems including inadequate teaching, underachievement in several key subjects, regular bullying issues and ineffective management.

The report reads: "This school requires special measures because it is failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education and the persons responsible for leading, managing or governing the school are not demonstrating the capacity to secure the necessary improvement in the school."

The report says the Royston Lane school, which was put into special measures - Ofsted's worst category of failing school - in January 2012, needs to improve the quality of teaching quickly.

Reply Posted by Greg A on Thursday November 20 2014 at 11:33
I attended this school for half of my last year in high school, you could tell then they had no idea what was going on, this was in 2011, all the teachers that I had from Royston high and I think many from the original desperate high schools have left. Royston high had a great offsted record and was easily managable. Merging the schools to create this "super school" was the worst idea ever and yet they persist on doing it. Parents said no to the merge because they didn't want his to happen. Just my thoughts on the situation :)

Reply Posted by sinjon on Thursday November 20 2014 at 11:54
My daughter goes to ccc she is an inteligent child all thru junior school she did well and enjoyed it she went up there here grades are dropping she comes home upset and stressed, the bullying going on up there is the teaches, there attitude stinks. I agree with the last comment the schools should never have been merged once again the council doing what they like.

Reply Posted by chrissy on Thursday November 20 2014 at 12:08
I,agree sinjon my son is the same he h8s it since it got took over n he's always dun well at school

Reply Posted by jister on Thursday November 20 2014 at 12:08
Is it too obvious to rid of those at the top who are supposed to be running it no golden handshake!?? Get someone in who can & will run the ACADEMY childrens education is being ruined

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Thursday November 20 2014 at 12:17
Another fine example of how standards slip and the local authority washes it`s hands of all responsibility once private funding comes into the mix. It`s an utter disgrace.

Reply Posted by Sw on Thursday November 20 2014 at 13:07
I feel for the kids at these kind of schools bad education leading to poor grades and no prospects for the future job wise with poor education on the school and teachers part these schools should be made to compensate for not doing their jobs correctly

Reply Posted by Concerned on Thursday November 20 2014 at 14:00
Although this school is in special measures, under Outwood Grange it will and has seen significant improvement. The school is changing for the better, a fresh start with fresh management and fresh ideas from an already well proven track record throughout the Academy Trust. Rather than look back on the past issues, why doesn't everyone pull together and support the new management team to ensure that all the children in the school achieve the best outcomes possible - surely that's what everyone wants.

Reply Posted by sinjon on Thursday November 20 2014 at 15:15
Changing for the better? Do you have a child at ccc? Bullying kids and stupidly strict rules are not changes for the better they dont even pay attention to what there doing last school report my daugher was told she should do more after school activaties, how she already does every day.

Reply Posted by audrey on Thursday November 20 2014 at 15:36
i totaly agree the school should not have merged and outwood is causing all the problems do they even no how to run a school my grandaughter was good at school before they took over know she spends more time at home than at school through stupid little things and her education has suffered badly i deffenatly know something needs to be done and soon theres going to be a lot of children going to fail there exams if nothing is done and that wont be the students fault .

Reply Posted by Jelly on Thursday November 20 2014 at 16:00
I went to this school when we moved from Royston High and the problems there were still the same. It has only since become and academy since I've left but my two brothers still attend and they tell me about all the problems they have with the teachers and the teaching in that school.

Reply Posted by Too school for cool on Thursday November 20 2014 at 16:11
Whatta joke, and 20 quid bettin last comment (concerned) was posted by a teacher lol

Reply Posted by Angrychild on Thursday November 20 2014 at 17:19
i have been at this school for almost 4 years now and every year they say this years going to be better, that grades are going to go up and behaviour is going to improve but throughout my experience at this school it has gone from bad to worse to disaster. In the past four years we have had 5 new head teachers all of them having no idea what they are doing, last year our head teacher decided to bring in teachers from different countries this was the biggest mistake they ever made. Within a year of having one of these teachers in maths I went from having predicted C to D and now I have her again in year 10. I don't have time for this anymore not when I have GCSE in half a year. The bad teaching and and lack of improvement is starting to make me worry I won't get into a good college

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday November 20 2014 at 19:31
This school is crap and the teachers are not good I got a c4 for getting a math question wrong

Reply Posted by Helsbels on Thursday November 20 2014 at 20:28
My son goes to ccc an all he can say every day is its boring I'm not learning anything if the kids think this at yr 8 what hope is there. Went to see head last yr about 1 teacher just wanted to pass buck. Some teachers great others don't give a monkeys.

Reply Posted by Get a grip Parents on Thursday November 20 2014 at 21:43
Don't blame the schools and the teachers.the problemn wit today's youth is they rude stuck in there bedrooms playing computer games and have a generation of parents that are thick.

Today's parents thinks paying there kids of with money and gifts and trying to pull one over anyone with a authority figure.

Millions have be spent on new schools and these buildings are first class. don't blame the teachers education and respect starts at home.

Take a good look at yourselves as parents if yiou can read this post.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Monday November 24 2014 at 08:16
Rubbish, my lad has just left one of these 'Super' Schools. Yes he played his console but he also did his homework and went to school, very few days off in the 5 years he was there. We had to pay for a Maths and Science Tutor due to the high turn over of staff at the school, for his last 2 years they where not 'taught', they where given old exams to work through...
The physical school doesn't mean a damn thing if the management and teachers are not up to the job.
When my son first went to secondary school, there where 3+ teachers at the school that had been teachers there when I was at school and I am in my 40's. The issue here is PFI and the management of these schools, a profit needs to be made and as such teachers and pupils suffer through the management of these 'contracts'.....

Reply Posted by Get a grip Parents on Tuesday November 25 2014 at 21:54
You say you want to support your children's education. Why has parents of this school way are you not daily as parents in numbers demonstrating that this kind of education is not for your kids future.

I tell you why your all mouth no actions tell Bob millinaires you've had your few glasses of wine tonite so all mouth no action.

If my kids education was not delivered in a professional manner I would let my voice known.

Come on parents you owe your kids a change stand up for them and force change

Reply Posted by ??? on Friday November 21 2014 at 06:35
How can you blame the kids ^^^ it quite clearly states that the teacher learning is bad by ofsted and the lack of achievement, you can't turn it round on kids, I'm not been funny kids will miss behave what ever ofsted have obviously seen bad teaching on the visit, you need to get a grip and stop blaming the kids for it all!!

Reply Posted by racheal on Friday November 21 2014 at 13:52
To get a grip
How can you say all kids are bad that's a load of bull
Also I can read and write ,im not thick oh and yes I have a job too as well as my husband
It clearly states in the ofstead report inadequate teaching, ineffective management
How is that the kids fault ?????

Reply Posted by marsh on Friday November 21 2014 at 14:47
the ofsted data and evidence was taken over the last two years.outwood have had control for a few months and in this time they have instilled discipline in the school.my child attends this school and says the atmosphere in the classroom is a lot more acceptable for learning if you are prepared to buckle down and work.give outwood time to change things and if you still dont like results send your kids somewhere else.

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Saturday November 22 2014 at 14:42
@get a grip, there you go with a mentality of us and them, "parents that can't read " so it's the poorest in our society that's to blame for our failing schools. Please allow me to educate you Mr/Mrs Grip, if these schools had the same ratio per class to tutor and the same amount of funding that the public schools such as Eton and Others then they wouldn't be one failing school in this country.

Reply Posted by Charles on Saturday November 22 2014 at 23:35
Well, you could of course pay what the parents of children attending public schools do and then your child/children could attend Eton or a similar school. It's all about choice.

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Sunday November 23 2014 at 14:52
Charles@ you well know that public schools are subsidised, and what choice does a couple have who are living off the minimum wage? None.

Reply Posted by U sure Charlie boy on Sunday November 23 2014 at 17:01
Minimum wage Charlie you sure with top up tax credits it a good rate of pay

Reply Posted by Just a point on Sunday November 23 2014 at 18:14
Get a grip to quote you: "Most modem parents today can not read and write let alone help there children do there home work." Note: Modern, their children, their homework.
I'm a modern parent and I can read and write and spell. Thanks.

Reply Posted by positive on Sunday November 23 2014 at 18:24
My daughter goes to ccc, she just informed me that there is less bullying, teachers are stricter( a very good thing i think), disruptions are now quite rare
Previous to out wood taking over she was always getting supply teachers all the time ...she now has stability and feels confident that the teacher knows who she is
I think we as parents should get behind this school and give out wood a fair chance
instead of jumping on the band wagon of slagging them off

Reply Posted by Observer on Monday November 24 2014 at 08:00
I agree with getagrip kids..
An element of bullying has always been a factor in school years. ( not that its right) also kids have to want to do well. If they dont concentrate at school and work hard they will acheive nothing.

Reply Posted by jobyjo on Monday November 24 2014 at 09:39
# getagrip can just about read your comment with the errors in it !! Lol

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Monday November 24 2014 at 13:20
discipline starts at home. If a child had that at the start of school then hopefully the teachers have something to work with. Teachers are under so much pressure that a disciplined child is a good start for their targets. They can only teach if s child wants to learn. No in not a teacher either!

Reply Posted by mumof2 on Tuesday November 25 2014 at 20:44
Why oh why do parents comment on here saying there child is at that school in year 8, 9, 10 etc and moan about the school yet keep sending your child there??? If its so bad then vote with your feet and send your child to another school??? My kids went to a failing school so I moved them asap! They only get one chance, give them the best start you can!! Rant over!!

Reply Posted by BarnsleyBorn on Tuesday November 25 2014 at 21:22
Well, this is a fun conversation we are having... I would first like to say I have never been to a "Merged Super School" However my mother works at one and I can honestly say she is an amazing teacher (ok, slight bias in being related to her) but she is down to earth and understands kids as she has managed to sort 3 out herself. Now the way I see things is that the system is flawed before it gets to the teachers and to me a failed plan can never work no matter who's hands you put them in, so before anyone declares its the kids or teachers faults think again. The Teachers don't pick what they teach, they are just told. They don't pick the grade boundaries for the pupils, someone else or - the even better one - A COMPUTER SYSTEM does, well that will give you accurate results won't it! Microsoft Excel 2004 congratz!

Anyway my main point if the finger of blame is the management. Let's face it, if you receive instructions to march your class off a cliff or lose your job, its never going to end pretty either way.

Reply Posted by You having a laugh on Tuesday November 25 2014 at 22:02
How dare you @BarnsleyBred for years the NUT has been asking us to support the changes to the Education systemn and Goverment changes.

Now teachers are showing there true colours sink the kids just for a YES YES YES job despicable. I think your comments has done nothing for your mum who may be a good teacher and respected.

But when it comes to education her morales and principles are for her shelf. Welcome to the Thatcher Legacy

Reply Posted by Barry on Thursday November 27 2014 at 11:56
teachers can only teach kids who want to learn,as a TA in a school you get closer to kids than the teacher and then kids open up and tell you what's really going on eg when they have been given a punishment they tell their parents who then say' "well your not f**king doing it tell them to f**k off.what kind of example is that setting. Good manners and respect are learned at home before a child starts school so maybe look at how kids are brought up before passing the blame.

Reply Posted by Richard Doon on Friday July 10 2015 at 21:07
Carlton Community College is stopping children BEFORE SCHOOL from
turning off down a small lane to access a mobile tuck shop before school, if any child disobeys they
will be excluded from the school WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE
A Mr Haynes of the school said he is concerned about the children
having sugary drinks BEFORE School- Its nothing to do with him what happens before school DO
YOUR JOB TEACHING not preventing people from travelling on a public highway, the man wants
sacking or at least WARNING ? This school is breaking the human
rights act 1998 artiicle 5 a right to liberty ps dont schools get dafter by the day