Pickpocket Warning Issued To Town Centre Visitors

Thursday November 13 2014

SHOPPERS in Barnsley town centre have been warned to be on their guard against pickpockets.

The warning comes after the latest crime statistics were revealed at a meeting of the Police Barnsley District Command Team.

The figures show there have been 578 various offences committed in the borough so far this year - representing an increase of 7.6 per cent on last year.

Police are particularly concerned about a recent spike in the number of thefts of purses and mobiles from people visiting the town centre.

Barnsley's crime manager, DCI Craig Jackson, confirmed a number of thefts have occurred both during the day when people are shopping and at night in Barnsley's bars and clubs.

He said: "There will be a police operation in the run-up to Christmas and we're asking people to look after their property to ensure it's not stolen."

Reply Posted by aseh on Thursday November 13 2014 at 10:00
Are they? Are you and them having a party?

Reply Posted by Dude on Thursday November 13 2014 at 10:12
Mrs M you are racist. There are good AND bad in all races, religions, nationalities etc. you can't blame one nationality for pick pocketing. That, in a nutshell, is just being narrow minded. If you can't see there is good and bad in all nationalities then you aren't a very clever person. I work with a Romanian woman who is such a lovely woman. Don't judge a book by its cover. Not everyone is the same. As not all 'non English' aren't robbers, benefit junkies, job theives etc

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday November 13 2014 at 10:30
They hang around in 2 and 3s near the 99p shop up and down that back street one tries to talk to you whilst the other tries to take what they can mine took a swift elbow in the face!

Reply Posted by Ged on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:21
Imigration up crime up ???

Reply Posted by aseh on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:38
Well, that's just par for the course. Regardless of race, if you increase the areas population then you increase not just crime but also educational requirements, housing requirements, job seekers etc . . .

Reply Posted by Jerry on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:40
My money's on the foreigners. And I think Dudes money would be on the same if he were to be honest about it.

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Thursday November 13 2014 at 13:42
I always buy the hand bags with funny clasps that are hard to get in, u can never be too sure, I'm not racist but if u watch crime watch line up how many people that commit these kind of crimes are actually english

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday November 13 2014 at 13:47
I nearly got rugby tackled in Alhambra centre by two security cards because some one stole something need to be a bit more careful am only 4ft 11

Reply Posted by it's just me on Thursday November 13 2014 at 15:23
The town center isn't a safe place to go now cause it's their hunting ground. It's just not safe. And before you jump down my throat.. i've seen them, and seen the cops trying to get them to talk in english Most can't which is frustrating!!

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Thursday November 13 2014 at 15:47
Lots of crime about now, just this morning I saw a group of mixed race men dealing drugs, in full view of all....shocking! One thing I do agree on Britain is now the s**thole of the world......shame that!

Reply Posted by Cosmic clown on Thursday November 13 2014 at 16:24
They can pick my pocketsi I've holes in my jeans pockets it will give em one big shock eh eh eh

Reply Posted by Davieboy on Thursday November 13 2014 at 17:15
Maybe 3GS may take time off nabbing so callled "Litter Louts" and keep an eye out for these low lifes.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Thursday November 13 2014 at 17:42
Davieboy has a point it would be a better idea to keep good honest people safe from these lowlife pickpockets and my last comment was removed because I dared to mention nationality in a none racist manner

Reply Posted by Fagin on Thursday November 13 2014 at 21:48
You got to pick a pocket or two boy
You got to pick a pocket or two

Reply Posted by caz on Saturday November 15 2014 at 22:38
The reason is because all the people visiting boots chemist for their methadone can nick a few purses while they are in town, move the methadone collection point somewhere out of town, preferably on a desert island.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday November 16 2014 at 17:49
Caz you can get methadone at any chemist it is the new people of Barnsley that are pickpockets I wont mention nationality though as that makes me a racist

Reply Posted by the ghost on Tuesday November 18 2014 at 12:12
Always the same throw in the racist card, solution get rid of them no racists, our government has made us like this....