Litter Louts Named And Shamed By Council

Wednesday November 12 2014

MORE people have been named, shamed and fined for dropping litter in Barnsley town centre.

The fixed penalty notices were issued in May by 3GS, the private company brought in by Barnsley Council to take action against people who choose to drop rubbish in the town centre.

All of the defendants were originally given the opportunity to pay their £75 fine by instalments over three months, but none of them paid.

None of the defendants appeared at Barnsley Magistrates' Court last Thursday, but three were found guilty in their absence and one had pleaded guilty by post.

Marc Hepple, 29, of New Lodge Crescent, New Lodge, dropped a cigarette end outside Barnsley Interchange.

Hayley Hewitt, 21, of Pine Close, Kendray, dropped a cigarette outside Browns Bar.

Justin Gardner, 23, of Tudor Way, Worsbrough Bridge, dropped a cigarette on Cheapside.

Amy McGrath, 24, of Derwent Road, Athersley South, dropped a cigarette on Cheapside.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for place, said: "There's simply no excuse for dropping litter - Barnsley town centre has numerous litter bins for people to use and they are emptied regularly.

"We should be proud of our town centre. A lot of money is being invested to improve it for residents, businesses and visitors and littering makes the area look uncared for and creates a bad impression."

Reply Posted by Daveyboy on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 10:45
Firstly .....I agree that people who litter our comunity should be punished, but fining someone £75 for dropping a cig is over the top....would it be better to ask the person to pick it up and dispose it in a proper manner.
Would 3GS be willing to tackle the travellers when they make far more mess than dropping a cig. Fly tippers should be fined a lot more they they are at the moment, there is no conparison.

Reply Posted by donna on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:36
here here ,,

Reply Posted by AHR on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 18:42
Ditto !

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 10:51
Well the amount of money they get find doesn't reflect the crime its just another money making racket

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 11:09
How much are 3GS costing Barnsley tax payers ? I bet it`s a damn sight more than it would cost the Council to employ someone directly. As Daveyboy says 3GS should be sent in to tackle the mountains of rubbish left by travellers, but as we all know Barnsley Council are so PC they love travellers, so nothing will get done in the name of discrimination.

Reply Posted by Bob on Friday November 14 2014 at 23:04
The company itself is owned by a certain Conservative Councillor by the name of Paul Buttivant.

Having done a little bit of research, it appears BMBC paid the company two sums totalling £14,400 as "Professional Fees"

If the agreement they have in place is similar to that of Portsmouth council then they get to keep £40. BMBC get £35.

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:11
Read the previous articles on them on this site - it explains how they're funded by results.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:14
I got fined £75 in september for dropping my cig on the floor.... My daughter had ran off to show me where the nearest bin was and i panicked and ran after her, dropping my cigarette... The lady watched what happened and STILL fined me. i offered to pick it up and put it in bin as it was accidental, it wasn't a tab end it was almost a full cigarette and she said it was too late for that... The cigarette was left on floor even after fining me.
i disputed the fine & still haven't paid it so no doubt mt name will be on there soon^^^. I'm not a litterer and never have been, annoyed wasnt/isnt the word!!!

Reply Posted by G on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:50
Exactly, it's just a money making scheme. If they were really wanting to improve littering they'd accept people who'd been 'caught' picking up and binning the litter. Fining people and leaving the litter there isn't gonna do bog all.

Reply Posted by kath on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:15
They should all quit smoking then they wouldn'T be fined lmao

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:16
Yep, that's the problem with performance related pay.

Reply Posted by Liz on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:23
SIMPLE don't drop litter don't get fined !!!!!!

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 12:27
So how do these people get the names and addresses of these people? They are not police so I'm pretty sure they can't make you tell them your name and address. I'm not condoning the litter dropping its a crappy thing to do and it shouldn't be happening but if your daft enough to give your name and address to these people then you deserve a fine

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 17:11
Incorrect, as authorised officers of the council they have the same powers as the police to request your name, address and date of birth. Failure to do so is also an offence.

Reply Posted by Sheila White on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 13:18
Introducing: A free weekly newsletter for people interested in No Littering called "This Week In Litterland" www.litterpreventionprogram.com

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 14:19
Just don't give the Gestapo your name or address and walk away they are not police and have no power to detain you just simply walk away

Reply Posted by adam on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 14:30
if we all took your advice Mr C . What would the Country be like? everybody dumping and throwing all there rubbish in the street and then you get approached by litter squad, just walk away, End of the day dirty scruffs who drop litter should be fined, Idiots like Mr C may like to live in a $hit hole , but I like the clean streets , thankyou

Reply Posted by jan on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 14:27
****** me off that they can fine people in town centre for dropping cig ends... maybe they should come round pearson cresent and fine the folks who constantly on purpose walk to their gates and throw cig ends into the street and in gutters, rather than use an old tin can or a cheap ashtray to use whilst smoking outside of their homes. in the space of a few houses its like walking through an ashtray... disgusting

Reply Posted by sally on Saturday November 15 2014 at 08:40
Jan. I 100% agree with you. I know lots of neighbours that do it. It's disgusting!!

Reply Posted by optimistic on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 14:37
I think as a community if we see some pikey drop a tab end we should all say something. People moan about the council wasting money on deterrants. Yeah because they're fed up of sweeping the streets of rubbish and quess what everyone. That is a silly use of taxpayers money.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 14:42
Adam you are a saint we should live in a police state and I'm wrong lets just fine people excessive amounts of money for dropping a cig but infact lets start giving fines for farting sneezing or even fine someone if a whisker drops of the head get real its nothing to do with litter its all about the money and people can take the moral high ground all they want but its true we just becoming a police state with Gestapo snatch squads extorting people

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 15:46
@ Mr C - I love how u speak the truth ;) Things like getting fined for throwing a tab end is silly, there's more potholes then tab ends but no1 is sorting that out

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:09
Barnsley lass are you who I think you are by any chance and yes I speak the truth but problem is too many do-goods who are brainwashed into thinking fines for dropping a tab is ok a mean its not like we have anything better to worry about

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:13
Ant got a clue who u are just agree with you on many things, too many people on here having a rant on silly things, they need telling ;)

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:19
Ok Barnsley lass its just I know someone who used that alias on a different site but she would definitely know who I am and I agree some people do need telling

Reply Posted by Liz on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:19
throw litter/tab ends etc. 100% behind the scheme HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS. IN THE POCKET, KEEP ARE STREETS TIDY

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:22
Keep r streets tidy but let horses sh!t all over, I have to clean my dogs mess up so wots difference

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday November 13 2014 at 09:01
I was queried this, it seems that Horse faeces is mainly plant material and is basically harmless and biodegradable, where as Dog faeces is mainly meat based and as such carries diseases and isn't as biodegradable.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:29
Yes a bit back cop horse did a massive turd at side of my car while the was checking tax disk I had all on to get in car for it the dirty PIGS but that's ok

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:35
Happened while I was driving through Hoyland common few months back, horse in front dropped one, dint half gip lol

Reply Posted by Liz on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:36
disc or disk , you need to go back to school

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:40
@liz - take it you've never tapped the wrong word when typing then no, this is what I'm saying by ranting about silly things

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:40
Oh sorry Liz we have grammar police now as well as tab end police

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 16:48
Mr c can type two messages at once with different names, oh my some people make me chuckle

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 17:15
You are wrong Dave they don't they just come out with all the jargon to try to make you think they do but you are under no obligation to answer any of their questions and they cannot detain you

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 18:47
Have you been watching a Patrick Swayze movie AHR Ditto

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 18:51
Why throw your tab end on the floor? Why throw your rubbish on the floor? Why because you couldn't careless about Barnsley, I hope they increase the fine to £500 if keeps our tarn clean, you wouldn't do It in your own house, or would you. Be proud of our town, and keep it clean.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 18:58
I concur!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday November 13 2014 at 09:02
Spot on

Reply Posted by sally on Saturday November 15 2014 at 08:43
Agree with you. I think the fine among is appropriate. It's supposed to deter you from doing it. If the amount was less, people wouldn't care, drop the litter and pay the fine. They probably wouldn't think twice about doing it again if the fine was less.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 19:00
Thomsons you know for a fact its just about making money no one wants Barnsley to be a mess

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 19:02
Steven what do you concur I haven't seen you concur a thing

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 20:29
Mr C I know we will drop tab ends and other crap outside your front door and let's see how long before you are crying out for a fine on those that have perpetrated the foul deed.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 20:38
Thomsons - by reading the dribble mr c writes. im thinking he lives in a sh it hole anyway,

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 20:53
Oh no your comments are hurting me NOT Steve bot and Thomsons tanker and no tabs outside my house and its a really nice street really clean nice Nabors not much crime so I guess you both fail in the same way you both fail at life

Reply Posted by REAL STEVEO on Thursday November 13 2014 at 12:13
Obviously was the imposter yet again using my name in vain... tut tut

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 21:04
Mr C I would gladly reply to your post, if I could understand a bl-dy word you have printed

Reply Posted by Mr C 2 on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 21:15
People want potholes filling. The less litter is dropped then the less it will cost to clean it up then there might be more money available to repair the potholes. A phenomenal amount of money is spent on street cleaning.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 12 2014 at 22:35
I was hoping the stevebot would have bit more to say or is it the stevebot using my name again

Reply Posted by lee on Thursday November 13 2014 at 00:22
does this mean that the council will fine the council???????? when we put OUR RUBBISH in OUR BINS as they wish us to do, the bin men drop it all over street and just leave the street looking a mess?????? and we are not talking a cigarette butt here...

Reply Posted by .. on Thursday November 13 2014 at 01:15
I'm not a person who litters because personally I can't bring myself to do it but I believe that if there were more bins provided then a lot of people wouldn't litter. People have to wait too ling before they find a bin which will be the cause of them littering

Reply Posted by griff on Thursday November 13 2014 at 02:16
Actually seen one of these "council police" drop a tab end in car park at cudworth co-op, if I'd have had my phone on me I would have caught em in act.........One rule for one.....blah blah blah

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday November 13 2014 at 10:39
I think it's disgusting how these people have had their names and addresses plastered on a social network site. They may have families and jobs that have been out at risk by this. They will have to deal with the consequences of littering now and that's their fault but tarring them like this is disgraceful!

Reply Posted by kenny on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:05
What Anon.. Don't drop litter and you don't have a problem. Fines should be £500 and then there would think twice next time..

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:12
I bet they don't do it again!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:16
The only issue I have with this is that they have all been fined for dropping cigarettes, are they being targeted? And what about the rest of the litter than bows Barnsley? Somebody drops its!

Reply Posted by amy mcgrath on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:46
i am paying my fine! and i also picked it up and i also find it discrasful that my name and adres to be put on here my adres should nt have been put any where like no ones eva droped liter. i picked the bloody thing up. the wana get the sens rt n feight sum r8 crime. or just tel people to pick it up with a warning and then a fine.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday November 13 2014 at 11:59
I never said they shouldn't have been fined, I said they littered so will have to deal with the consequences but why plaster people's names and addresses for dropping a cigarette? They don't name and shame fly tippers like this, it's ridiculous! These people have livelihoods to think about which are at risk now because of a dropped cigarette

Reply Posted by Jim on Thursday November 13 2014 at 16:03
£75 for dropping a cigarette end ? How much for the fridge freezers on edderthorpe lane? There's at least four of them there but no enforcement people..

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday November 13 2014 at 16:20
people only get taken to court if they dont pay their fines...If these people got fined in May, as it says, and then went to court in November they all had 6 months to pay the £75 and didnt bother paying it, serves em right !

Reply Posted by ANON on Thursday November 13 2014 at 16:21
they are all smokers, if they can afford to buy fags then they can afford to pay the fines for dropping them.

Reply Posted by Team DK on Thursday November 13 2014 at 17:09
As Upstanding Citizens of Barnsley, we have come to a conclusion that every single person in Barnsley cannot put there hand on there heart & publicly announce that they have NEVER dropped any form of LITTER on the street, we admit to ash flicking :) but would never throw tab ends on the street on purpose. We think it is DISGRACFUL that DO GOODERS on this DEBATE actually believe that TAB END LITTERING deserves a Fine.. TEAM DK OUT!!

Reply Posted by The truth on Thursday November 13 2014 at 20:16
No, DK anybody dropping litter including tab ends should be fined, why do it in the first place? Disposing of litter is a big problem, and if the only way to combat this is to give fines to the perpetrators then so be it. Fly tipping, every one would say its a blight on our land scape, then what's the difference between a fly tipper and a litter lout none they all cost the public thousands if not hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Reply Posted by Ex Citizen. on Thursday November 13 2014 at 22:12
The fines are great and will hurt and therefore stop this littering. Increase the fines for repeat offenders, no not prison, hit their pockets hard.

Reply Posted by David. on Friday November 14 2014 at 00:36
I'm sure the officer issuing Anon with a fine for dropping his cigarette when he went to chase his daughter would have given Anon sufficient time to retrieve or pick up the cigarette before deciding the incident warranted a littering fine and I'm sure I'm correct in saying this because if Anon's intension was to go back and pick it up then he wouldn't have to offer to do so.
You teach a child to put their sweet wrappings in a bin then people conveniently drop or discard their litter anywhere & time without discretion and get court then whinge!!! This is Adults behaving like kids. Do the right thing.

Reply Posted by Bmbc suck on Friday November 14 2014 at 20:37
they have no power to make you show Id or detain you so just walk away.

Reply Posted by Ashley on Friday November 14 2014 at 20:44
Don't agree one bit with address's being made public like this. Shame!

Reply Posted by Collet on Saturday November 15 2014 at 00:10
its an offence to drop litter,so what's the problem,every one wants to change the law when it doesn't suite them,just wish they could catch as many Dog fowlers and fly tippers, our country side looks like a **** tip in some areas,don't blame the council,blame the tippers,and droppers.and if you see anyone littering shop em.

Reply Posted by barnsley is a joke on Saturday November 15 2014 at 11:12
What a joke! Who actually cares we live in a dirty town full of dirty people and unemployment is rife let people litter and pay someone to clean it up! Instead of spending money on weirdos who think they're the bees knees stalking people around town waiting for them to drop a tab end.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday November 15 2014 at 13:38
Might help nall if there was more cig bins people don't chuck em in normal bins for a big reason ITS SETS IT ON FIRE so the only other place is the floor

Reply Posted by Paula on Saturday November 15 2014 at 16:52
Someone further up mentioned the ciggy police not having any powers, therefore you can refuse to tell them your name and walk away ...not true I'm afraid ...They followed a neighbour of mine round Barnsley after she refused to give her name and address they also phoned the police ....she went into a shop stayed in there 30 min and when she came out the real police were waiting for her ...she had to give her details or she would have been arrested

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Saturday November 15 2014 at 17:23
Mr Miller wants to get his own workforce in order. You watch when council employers park up in ther bin wagons and highway vehicles when they take a lunch breack.

I've witnessed cig ends been thrown out of windows on many occasions although is against the law to smoke in company vehicles.

I seen sandwich papers crips bagspop cans etc.

The worst peolple of all are Care workers that visit the elderly and disabled they work in twos. They spend more time chatting with each other smoking outside the cars that with the clients.

And then throw there cig ends on the floor.

Reply Posted by ? on Sunday November 16 2014 at 15:54
Dear wab i would like to know why my comment was deleted? It was not offensive and lawful. Merely stated that the policy officers could not pass your details to a 3rd party, and you do not 'automatically' have to give your details to them, these are your rights enshrined in some of this country oldest laws of the land

Reply Posted by Anti on Monday November 17 2014 at 08:38
its not a matter of them dropping A fag end its to learn them if they dropped one and been caught how many times have they dropped them in the past ? Is the question same as speeding you might get away most of the time but don't moan when get caught

Reply Posted by Barnsley Bob on Monday November 17 2014 at 08:48
its simple don't give them your name and address and walk away as they have no powers to restrain you I did this and nothing has come of it he followed me for a bit n that was that

Reply Posted by anon on Monday November 17 2014 at 10:13
refusing to give your details or giving false details is also an offence, why make things worse for yourself ??, if you litter and then give false details/walk away, and get caught for that as well, chances are your fine will be bigger when you get to court.....simple solution to all of this...DONT DROP LITTER...
most of the bins in the town centre have room for cigs at the top of the bin so being worried about setting them on fire is no excuse either...why dont people take responsibility for their own actions any more...gets on my nerves !

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 17 2014 at 10:27
Anon refusing to give details is not an offence, only a constable can ask for your details and then only for a lawful reason, a private corporation as no more right to your details then me walking up and asking for them. Yes littering is wrong but these wardens are self funding so it is in THEIR interest to issue fines no matter the circumstances, or without offering a chance to pick it up and advise about the councils policy

Reply Posted by Jerry on Monday November 17 2014 at 11:17
Question... Could the offender give a false name and address... The guys issuing the fines are not police officers. It's not like they have your registration plate.

Reply Posted by kerry on Monday November 17 2014 at 11:26
It was same with me I put my cig end on top of my hood on pram cause I was no where near a bin my daughter pulled he hood and it fell off I never realised they fined me and while I was talking get a woman stood there and did it in front of him in never paid and disputed it still waiting this was summer tone

Reply Posted by Liz on Monday November 17 2014 at 11:54
Can anyone tell me what is so hard about disposing of their rubbish properly ?

Reply Posted by anon on Monday November 17 2014 at 13:24
? - I'm afraid you are wrong - it is an offence to refuse to give your name and address, or to give false details - look at S88 (8A) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, that is the law.......also they are paid a set salary regardless of how many tickets they get....

Reply Posted by Jason on Monday November 17 2014 at 13:35
getting people for littering is all well and good, what I want to know is this still being policed on a evening and into the night when people on a night out are littering between pubs. I guess not!!

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 17 2014 at 13:45
Going by your ACT anon before they get any details off me i can ask to see the letter of authorisation given to the warden or their employer to check they are authorised by the local ' litter authority', until this is seen they get nothing.

Reply Posted by ANON on Monday November 17 2014 at 14:01
? - they all av council id badges, that gives them the authority to act on behalf of the council, if they werent authorised they wouldnt be out there doing it.... just dont drop litter in the first place then you've nowt to worry about ???

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 17 2014 at 14:10
Also anon according to DEFRA the evidence to rake you to court should conform to PACE. What is the evidence, is it recorded correctly and so on. Also the wardens can ask for name and address but not date of birth, with some magistrates refusing to issue summons without it.

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 17 2014 at 14:15
Anon what a good little sheeple you are id badges do not constitute proof they are authorised just they are council workers or in this case contractors. The principal litter authority must issue a letter of authority a badge doesn't prove they have authority. By your logic anyone with a BMBC badde can issue fines, wrong only if authorised with a letter of marque

Reply Posted by ???? on Monday November 17 2014 at 16:31
The bill of rights act 1688/89 look under forfeitures

Reply Posted by Enough is enogh on Tuesday November 18 2014 at 20:35
WAB tomorrow I intend to call all advertiser on here to Advise they are wasting money using this site until you use a proper user name and login in systemn

Reply Posted by higgzi on Tuesday November 18 2014 at 22:00
I got fined i didnt pay there u go just named and shamed myself

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday October 6 2016 at 05:14
You can not be fined for "accidental" littering. So if caught simply say I'm terribly sorry and pick it up and dispose of it properly. You do not have to give your details. Thank the kind oik, sorry enforcement officer for pointing out your mistake and walk away. They can call the police to retrieve your details but by the time they get there you'll be long gone.