News » WAB Debate

Should Drinking Alcohol While Pregnant Be Illegal? A WAB Debate

Wednesday November 5 2014

DRINKING alcohol during pregnancy could become a crime, women's charities say.

A council in the north-west of England is seeking criminal injuries compensation after a six-year-old girl was left with growth problems caused by her mother's alcohol consumption.

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service and Birthrights charities claim the result of the case could pave the way for the act to be criminalised.

What do you think? Should it become illegal? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by declan ratcliffe on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 10:57
so it should be illegal at the end of the day they are hurting a child and therefore it should be breaking the law

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 13:06
Its defo not a good thing to do but how could the police bring them to cort its not like they will be sat outside the boozer or in town on smack circle

Reply Posted by kay on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 14:09
Not saying its right to drink wen preg cz it not but if kid cums art unwell or wt eva the mother shud av kids tuk of em... A drink vodka useally but wen i was preg wi my daughter whos now 2 n half a drank vks n wkds not al time but they dont do much harm n that wer only couse it wer euros lol

Reply Posted by what? on Thursday November 6 2014 at 10:37
Is this a joke or are you actually saying you risked the welfare of your unborn child to drink "only couse it wer euros"?

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 14:32
I think its disgusting to drink or smoke when pregnant. I do neither anyway, which is my choice but when you are carrying a child you are responsible for the life inside you. If having a bevvy with your mates is more important than that childs health your not fit in my opinion.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 14:33
Then you are a disgrace Kay and you don't deserve to have kids

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 15:36
Alcohol is legal, if the Mother decides to drink or smoke then they have to face the consequences of their actions.

Reply Posted by Tt on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 15:43
Kay, once I'd finally worked out what the **** you were trying to write, it occurred to me that someone who writes the way you do isn't really a fair judge of what 'no harm' means.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 17:02
Tt you cant blame the children you are deluded

Reply Posted by David Wood on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 17:15
I blame the government for causing aspiration

Reply Posted by Sandra Robinson on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 19:17
If they make it a criminal offence for drinking whilst pregnant, why not make it a criminal offence against the mother taking drugs. I do agree with it as I never drank while I was pregnant. But then again I don't drink that much anyway.

Reply Posted by EmmaaNa on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 20:45
shouldnt be allowed to drink while pregnant harming your baby for the whole time your carrying it is bad wouldn't hurt people to stop for 9 month once babys out sure you can celebrate by wetting the baby's head with a drink

Reply Posted by Ada on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 20:49
I think Kay would be better spending her money on private tuition instead of alcohol!! Anyone who drinks and smokes while pregnant are in the wrong! You see young pregnant girls ( often with a child in a pushchair) walking in town smoking! It makes my blood boil!!

Reply Posted by sunshinegirl on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 21:32
kay- this may shock u but the blue sugary stuff u drank in pregnancy was 'mucky beer' and not fizzy pop! hope your kid is ok but what if further down the line she turns out to struggle at school could u live with the possibility those early months when her brain was wiring up the 'pop' you drank could have severed a connection and caused lasting damage? Well done bet u feel such a proud mummy!

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 23:33
It's irrelevant; legal or illegal, dirty, selfish low life's will continue to get ******, smoke and take drugs whilst pregnant, the best thing would be to stop these people breeding !

Reply Posted by Toni on Thursday November 6 2014 at 09:43
I don't drink or smoke I'm a mother of 2 I agree whilst pregnant you shouldn't drink or take drugs harms baby. It's unfair to the baby if they have lasting effects just because their mother couldn't stay of drink smoke or drugs while carrying for 9 months

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday November 7 2014 at 09:43
If any mother to be smokes or drinks she should be sentenced to prison until that child is born.

Reply Posted by mother of 3 on Friday November 7 2014 at 18:28
I drank whilst pregnant with all 3 of my children (not excessively mind) and the wonderful powers at be are saying it stunts a childs growth....well how tall would my 2 6ft 2 sons and 5ft 8 daughter be if it was law back in the 80s and 90s???

this needs to be thought out very carefully as I can think of 2 scenarios where it could be a problem, one being how will it be enforced (would an expectant mother have to wear a huge beacon on their head) or what if the expectant mother didnt know she was pregnant until she went into labour?

I know there's an unborn child involved and their welfare is paramount but as I said it needs to be thought out before it becomes law

Reply Posted by Funny on Friday November 7 2014 at 19:29
I've never seen such a pile of rubbish written about a subject. 1: Where is the scientific evidence? 2: How much is deemed problematic? 3: Why do people always assume that "class" has anything to do with being a good parent? 4: If you want even more of a police state with spooks spying on what amount of alcohol a household purchases rather than monitoring potential terrorists continue supporting laws like this. Ignorance is the mother of Fascism.

Reply Posted by Knocker on Saturday November 8 2014 at 17:26
I dont know how the human race ever managed before all the silly rules/laws that we have now, its up to the individual person to think about what harm( if any ) there doing and judge for themself

Reply Posted by Oi up on Sunday November 9 2014 at 19:57
Please people, have a read up on foetal alcohol syndrome, especially you funny!! There is your evidence and research.

Reply Posted by Funny on Sunday November 9 2014 at 22:33
You are pregnant from conception therefore any female who consumes any alcohol after conception is to be considered a criminal? Foetal Alcohol Syndrome may be a problem but sledge hammer to crack a nut springs to mind.

Reply Posted by Oi up on Monday November 10 2014 at 13:57
you asked where the scientific evidence is but are aware of foetal alcohol syndrome.
Please make your mind up before commenting your utter rubbish.

Reply Posted by Ha ha on Monday November 10 2014 at 15:45
listen to u all how can u police sumert like that. Pregnant women are guna get witch hunted. Drinking like a fish while pregnant is wrong. But making illegal will just put more strain on the justice system

Reply Posted by me on Sunday November 16 2014 at 20:21
I don't understand why someone would harm a child but seriously this is not a police matter when there are people out there beating or starving children and people like you lot are abusing people who are more than likely hard working parents who adore their children next going to be getting stoned in the streets for eating unhealthy or drinking caffeine absolutely bang out of order

Reply Posted by Funny on Sunday November 16 2014 at 20:38
Maybe it would be acceptable if the ban is expanded at birth to all others who care for the baby/babies and then lasts for a minimum of 15yrs. Surely far more children are damaged by drinkers post birth than prior?

Reply Posted by Jezza on Monday December 1 2014 at 17:30
Of course it should be, smoking too.
It is clear that too many people should not even be having children.
Give all those scally/chav/scumbags the snip I say.
It would be good to put plenty of them down too but human rights and all that.