New Market To Open Today

Wednesday November 5 2014

BARNSLEY'S new open market will be officially opened today.

The market will trade from 40 stalls throughout Cheapside, May Day Green, Queen Street and Peel Square in the town centre.

Open from 9am to 4.30pm, shoppers will find everything from CDs and DVDs to gold and jewellery.

Sir Steve Houghton will ring the original market bell to officially mark the start of trading today at 2pm.

This will be the first time the market bell has been used for decades and it is intended to use it to mark each phase of completion, before finally hanging it in the redeveloped market halls.

The market days remain the same as at the former open market.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 09:18
Good luck with the new market, but i think the heart has been ripped out of Barnsley town center a long time ago.

Reply Posted by chickadee on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 09:56
You should go and see it if you can, looks pretty dandy with the stalls out in the town. Even if it just gets people moving through the main precinct area again it's a good move.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 13:11
It all depends on what they sell if its going to be any good or not I cant find much I want of market these days

Reply Posted by jackie on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 13:18
visit town this morning, looks good and just hope the council don't get greedy and overcharge on the rent and also every stall needs occupying ,full market make better viewing, hope the stallholders don't close too early has this can make the area look dead, good luck all traders.

Reply Posted by Bungle on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 16:26
Barnsley market has been dead for years the greedy council rent increases drove out all the good trader out leaving us with overpriced tat. surrounded by empty shops the companies can't justify the high rents for a shop in a town where BMBC are choking the life out of. RIP Barnsley market.

Reply Posted by David Wood on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 17:00
I think the new market is a eyesore it wont get anymore custom its going to be another waist of taxpayers money waisted by bmbc

Reply Posted by Tony on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 18:05
Not sue that it is right to call it a new market. It is surely a temporary arrangement until such time as the town centre has been redeveloped.

Reply Posted by Tasha on Thursday November 6 2014 at 15:01
Too right Tony; I am friends with a market trader and it is only temporary. However, they are advertising it as though it will be a long term arrangement as who knows when the barnsley market redevelopment will be completed??

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 18:12
Went in today, horrible place, like the league of nations.

Reply Posted by vik on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 22:35
I quite liked the market today the traders seemed more chirpy and chatty I wasn't being pushed about by little old woman and I could browse without fear of running over toes with my pram and I didn't get a single puff of smoke blown in my face by said little old woman. Quite liked going in one shop coming out browsing a stall buying them popping in the next shop seemed so much nicer .

Reply Posted by Paul Brears on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 23:59
Barnsley used to have one of the best markets in the north of England unill BMBC decided to improve it 40 years ago, since then it has been in decline. Now they are improving it again, a bit like polishing a turd I think.

Reply Posted by Beth on Thursday November 6 2014 at 09:08
I love the market stalls being in the high street, I never have the time to go into the market before but found myself buying from a few stall on my way home through town yesterday. I think it'l be good for the market traders, more business from people like myself x

Reply Posted by mags on Thursday November 6 2014 at 10:20
i think BMBC should allow stall holders to have there sheltered covers for free with the price of rents they charge 15 pound for these is ridiculous they pay enough rent and insurance on there stalls

Reply Posted by Mr C on Thursday November 6 2014 at 13:07
I think its just same market but in a different place still nowt I want to buy and prices arnt much different to shop anyway

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday November 6 2014 at 15:47
If you look at The titles of Only fools and Horses in the 80's the stalls look the same as Peckham Market. Aren't we lucky - were only 30 years behind peckham now.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday November 6 2014 at 17:27
Reckon it's a step back blocking the pedestrian precinct, looks like an act of desperation by a clueless Labour Council. !!!

Reply Posted by Graham Nicholson on Sunday November 9 2014 at 16:58
Shops picked up now shops more fuller qhen market moved well done Barnsley i cant wait rest of development can i knock out a piece out of buildings before their go

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Sunday November 9 2014 at 17:37
@Tasha I remember Wombwell Council spent tens of thousands on the redevelopment. all the market traders at the time moved into Temporary stalls which the market traders built up themselves in front of the High Street Shops.

When the new market was completed the traders refused to go back into the NEW MARKET.

The result the Council sold the market at auction. The guide price £50K the buyer payed more the guide price.

In the end the person bought it was refused by BMBC ato open it as a market are due to a law dating back to the dinosaur era.

In the end the council tried to cover it up and the buyer got it for £50K the original guide price or face legal action from the buyer.

If BMBCTO Carnt get a small proget like WOMBWELL Markets God help the new Barnsley Market.

Another point if Barnsley Market Stalls are suppose to be temporary why has the Council spent so much money of the steel work and structure of the stalls.????????????????????

Reply Posted by Ian on Sunday November 9 2014 at 17:51
what do you want Dr Debate@ , old rickerty rackerty stalls with weights to hold them down and tarpaulin, making the place look scruffy, at least the stalls are nice and all the same,, MOAN MOAN MOAN

Reply Posted by Dr Dedbeat on Monday November 10 2014 at 20:19