New Crime Commissioner Vows To Be People's Voice

Monday November 3 2014

Alan Billings Alan Billings

SOUTH Yorkshire's new police and crime commissioner has vowed to be the people's voice in his role.

Alan Billings took over from acting commissioner Steve Pick on Monday, having topped the elections at the end of last week.

The by-election, which was a result of Shaun Wright's resignation, was only the second one since the introduction of PCCs in 2012.

He said: "I'm honoured to have been elected and I'm committed to working with all communities across South Yorkshire.

"I'll be supportive of the police, but I'll not be part of their culture. My job is to hold them to account, particularly over Rotherham, Hillsborough and Orgreave, to make sure they're learning lessons.

"I will work to bring about real change so that the public's trust in them can start to be rebuilt.

"I will be a voice for all people in South Yorkshire. I will be the people's commissioner."

Reply Posted by Madbitch on Monday November 3 2014 at 16:46
I see lefty lunnies taken all comments down...AGAIN....typical communists ,socialists....gagging freedom of speech....

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday November 3 2014 at 17:15
I'm sure we'd all be "the peoples voice" for £80K a year!

Reply Posted by 4ft11and shrinking on Monday November 3 2014 at 19:00
And yet another expense the hard working tax payer could live without!

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday November 3 2014 at 20:45
I have faith in the new commissioner look at his photo he's a man you can trust

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 05:27
Lucky man, dropped in the Coop divi.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 08:51
I wanted to vote for the Chief Constable but his name wasn't on the ballot paper.

Reply Posted by ray on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 12:36
Will there be an investigation into Orgreave then

Reply Posted by Concerned on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 12:57
I really hope Alan Billings keeps to his word and exposes the corruption which is prevalent all over South Yorkshire. I’m willing to give him a chance, but I won’t hold my breath.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 13:36
I think Billings will be a good commissioner he has a face we can trust and lets face it he cant be as bad as last scum bag who turned a blind eye to paedophiles

Reply Posted by Mr C on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 14:18
Kate Elsley aka Madbitch we all know you are just a EDL supporter who call everyone who don't agree with your views a lefty Looney but you are the only Looney posting on hear

Reply Posted by Reduce rarm, reduce crime, repair society on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 15:25
Sworn in on November 1st, International Drug user's day.

Will he speak up for drug users? I hope so, but I think not.

It is worth noting that many of the abused girls in Rotherham and Sheffield are now addicted to hard drugs, many having addictions that started when they were being abused and plied with drink and drugs by their abusers.

Instead of being treated for the health problem that is addiction, these people are criminalised and punished, at vast cost to the taxpayer and wider society. Along with many other, otherwise law abiding people who choose to use drugs and cause no harm to others.

The war on drugs continues, and the supply of drugs is in the hands of criminals, criminals with an incentive to get young people addicted for financial gain, addicted so that they can be sexually exploited, addicted so that they can be controlled.
The war on drugs has failed on every one of it's objectives. How anybody can continue to support defies all logic and reason.

Instead of treating drug use as a crime, we can treat it as a health problem, and start to achieve the objectives the war on drugs was supposed to. We can reduce crime, reduce drug use, improve health and so on.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 16:18
I don't know what planet you are on Reduce Reduce you are deluded your views are ridiculous I've never heard such nonsense in all my life drug use is not a crime possession and supplying is illegal and rightly so and their is plenty of support for users to get clean or onto substitute programs that can detox in hospital free from nhs yes the is waiting lists but end of the day if someone wants to stay on drugs nothing will stop them

Reply Posted by Reduce harm, reduce crime, repair society on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 23:41
Why is it right to ban drugs? Citing the law as a reason something should be illegal is a poor argument indeed, if that were the case then many things legal today would be illegal.

Should we ban alcohol? Caffeine? Paracetamol? DHMO?

Support for people to get clean is a good thing, it is far cheaper than jailing people and far more effective at reducing drug use and associated crime, replacement substance programs are also cost effective and successful.

If somebody wants to use a drug and cause no harm to another person, then what is the problem?

We need to look at our attitude towards drugs as a society and change it for the better. We can reduce drug use, reduce drug harm, reduce associated crime. Why do we continue the war on drugs which results in, increased drug use, harm and associated crime? It is madness to continue a failing policy.

Reply Posted by Madbitch on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 16:51
Mr c you should know better...roger Chadwick...lol...hahaha I hope your not going to turn into a stalker....had enough of them recently....
...all these labour lunnies your days are number in power...the amount of ppl fed up with typical communist corrupt policies at Barnsley council is mounting by the hours....this commissioner drinks from the same potty...so don't hold your breath...things will be no better....no different...I'm just going to kick my feet up and watch you all implode....going to get ring side seats with my popcorn enjoying the entertainment...lol. Mr Chadwick lol

Reply Posted by David Wood on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 19:36
That's good news! Would you like more from the Home Affairs Committee's report on it's findings in Rotherham or have you read that also?

Reply Posted by max on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 00:17
Not read through the comments. All I can say is listen the ppl... really listen to what the towns folk say... if you really hear what WE want.. you won't go wrong.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 17:24
WAB why did you remove my reply to reduce harm reduce crime repair society are you taking sides wth the view they have or did I offend you
You are a moderator who censors anything you don't agree with

Reply Posted by rw on Thursday November 6 2014 at 08:44
Anyone who went to Broadway will know what spineless left wing looney billings is

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday November 6 2014 at 17:38
The fact that he represents a Political Party will ensure thet he will not be trusted by the people to be impartial, his first duty will be to those who sponsored him the Labour Party.!!

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday November 7 2014 at 08:47
Rainbow, Never understood why justice had to start wearing a rosette . If there is any indication of the complete failiure of these ICC's it's the shaun wright fiasco. Seems no lessons have been learnt. It will take a couple more years and scandals for the government to realise what a complete waste they are and scrap them for another scheme